Carb for my 360

-
PS, that carb can be made to run just fine on your 360, esp for your intended useage. Can be made. Dont rush out and buy a replacement, expecting it to solve your problems.
Double PS. A meat thermometer stuck in the rad filler neck can be made to work also.Buy em at the dollar store for $3.
Oh yeah and how can you tell its almost to the point of boiling over? I aint sticking my finger in there.Even if I did I couldnt tell the difference between 160 and 210(210 being almost boiling).My finger has never been calibrated there. The point is dash gauges arent calibrated either. They can be made to be close to the truth at exactly one temperature point.Its tricky, time consuming, and a royal pita. They are pretty good at noticing trends, but theyre always lazy and slow.If you watch em like a hawk, you might save an engine if you catch it early enough.But then whos doing the driving?
-Jim, you out there? Come back.

PS, that carb can be made to run just fine on your 360, esp for your intended useage. Can be made. Dont rush out and buy a replacement, .

That's what was said way ^^^^^there...that a "stock" 273 carb won't run a 360 properly, but, you decided to jump on every one that suggested it.

Also, if you reread my response, I didn't tell him to go buy a new carb....I suggested he "borrow" one to test...wouldn't cost him any $$$.

273;Not sure why you took offense at my post.
See 95% of the time the OP will be running on the 2bbl.And the vast majority of that time will be spent on the slow speed circuit, which requires nothing more than a screwdriver adjustment. Hes not complaining of any driveability issues. So,I was trying to reassure him about the 273 carb since he was worried about the carb fitment.And several times during the first page conversation.suggestions were either hinted at or outright made to get a larger carb.Well a larger carb invariably comes with larger primaries, which can lead to its own tuning requirements.Since the OP is having trouble diagnosing a simple overheat problem, I wouldnt expect he understands too much about carbs. I was just trying to save him time, money, and headaches, down the road.
For the OPs driving requirements a 2bbl 318 carb would probably work just fine for the biggest percentage of time.And before anybody else jumps all over me on that; JUST try it sometime. I have run 2bbl 340s for thousands of miles and remember the times fondly. The 360 was practically born with a 2bbl on it.They run gangbusters like that to at least 4000rpm and to 60 or 70 mph easy at full load.What did the OP say back in the beginning? "I dont plan to race it, just spirited street driving...." Spirited driving can be done easily on a 2bbl. On a stock 360, which the OP claims, the secondaries might make what? 25/30 hp over the 2bbl? and where exactly? Maybe as early as 4800 but more than likely not til 5200, which in 1st gear is already dangerously close to speeding. Maybe I read too much between the lines. Maybe I assumed too much. Maybe Im not being as helpful as I thought I was trying to be.Maybe........
-To the OP,cheer up, there is a solution close by.

-
Back