Carb issue :

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Here's the deal - carb is near new, car sat awhile but ran fine when started every couple of months. I know there could be crap in the system BUT .... the attached pic is my issue - float "valves" are not dropping (opening) to allow fuel in, I can tap or coax them to drop, allowing fuel flow, but I know they need to slide freely - best method to correct this issue and I'm on my way ... thanks. Again, not a total moron here, just never needed to crack open a carb so learning as I go !

Attachments

• P1080603 (Small).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 154
Change out the needle and seat. Might have a burr up inside or the rubber tip might be messed up. I wouldn't trust it to never happen again, so while you have it opened up swap it out.

I'll see if I can locate replacements ... odd how they both started at the same time (gunk I guess) ...

I have a good set of them.

have a bunch of parts for a 1406 edelbrock.

if you have trouble finding what you need let me know and we can work something out.

It's not worth it to try and fix them and "hope" it works for ya! Then you're back tearing into it again. Do it once and be done with it.

If its just dirt or gunk get out some carb cleaner.
Take the top off and spray the crap out of it. Blow all the jets and passages out with compressed air. Adjust the floats. Shoud be good to go.

Make sure everything is clean then those puppies will open with 6-7 PSI of fuel pressure trying to open them and there's a gap between the end of the needle valve and float platform.

Removed the floats, then valve assembly, cleaned everything real good (some green oxidation on the brass needles and walls of the assembly from moisture causing the sticking), screens nasty as well. Fuel supply "port" was gunked on the "far end" as well, have a great assortment of bottle brushes and pipe cleaners , etc. Reassembled and all is well .... thanks.

-
Back