carb leaking

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
67 Dart, 273, 2 barrel. Started it to time it and the carb is leaking, can't tell if it is around the top gasket as the top of the carb (above the gasket) was also wet. The carb was rebuilt a couple years ago, but never ran. Looked down throats and it was dripping inside(couldn't tell from where). Any ideas on what the problem may be or how to fix it?
Thanks
Aaron

Yes, first time since the rebuild, As far as I know it is the original carb. Forgot to add it also has a new replacement mechanical fuel pump.

If the gaskets used are not of the newer "non stick" kind they will leak when totally dry then wetted when used. There are several thing that can cause a leak, under or over tightening of fasteners, uninstalled or incorrectly gaskets, or worn out parts. Did you rebuild the carb or is it a reman?

Had it rebuilt by a local mechanic that was highly recommended. I got wondering if it is the float or something as the top of the carb(where the accelerator pump goes in) was wet and if it was the gasket leaking it would just be wet from the gasket down, correct? Sorry, I'm not very good with carbs. I tore a spare down to rebuild for my 67 dart 270 once and ended up with a box of parts, luckily it was a spare.
thanks
Aaron

Check fuel pressure AND float level. Post the carb no. and some of us can probly look it up

Go to the store and look for a test vacuum gauge, normally called a "pressure vacuum" tester, these can be used both to check manifold vacuum, tune the carb/ adjust idle mixture, as well as troubleshooting the fuel system.

You'll need to get enough tees hoses and clamps to "tee the gauge into the fuel line, in place of the filter.

If your line is all metal from the pump to the carb, you likely have 5/16 inverted flare at the carb. You can get hose connectors for those at ANY "good" parts store, in the Great Big plastic brass cabinet

5/16 female inverted flare to hose, would connect to the fuel tube once disconnected at the carb:

12-512-148-hb-inverted-flare-female-hose-barb-med.jpg

This is NOT pipe thread. A 5/16 male inverted flare may or may not (but often) has a swivel nut

10022659_dag_785402_pri_larg.jpg

Then get a tee, some fittings, hose, etc

Look in the shop manual fuel section. There's a procedure for checking pumps as well as checking carb float level

Free 66 shop manual. You'll have to "play" with page numbers as they are consecutive in your browser, not the Mopar "dash" system:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Free 69 shop manual, thanks to AbodyJoe

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/69%20dodge%20service%20manual.pdf[/ame]

The float level being too high is usually considered to be the primary cause of leaks like that, although other things could also be causing it.

-
Back