Carb rebuilt on Slant now Cam is sticking?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Just rebuilt the Carter BBD carb on my slant 66 dart. Removed everything and soaked it in carb dip can. I even removed the plastic step down cam thingy, and I cleaned it with water and a brush to get the gunk off the little steps (idle).
Reassembled it all, and now when I start the engine that little plastic stepped cam sticks in the all the way back position and the idle is 1300rpm and won't drop down unless I open the hood and push that plastic stepper down with my finger then it is fine.
So is there some sort of lube or something that I need to put in that cam so the plastic cam piece moves freely?

No lube on carb parts. Why is the cam sticking? Is the choke not opening all the way? Something not assembled correctly? Why is it sticking?

Look closely at the bolt that runs through the cam. Is the cam loose on the bolt as it should be? Make sure the cam is not directional. Sometimes, plastic cams will have a counter bore on one end to allow the bolt to tighten and leave the cam loose. If they get reversed during reassembly, that can cause binding issues.

-
Back