carb spacer tricks

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I came across this link on the forum of a high performance 318 build. I thought it was interesting that they combined a 4-hole spacer/gasket with a 2-hole.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0901phr_mopar_318_magnum_engine/photo_13.html

Has anyone here done something similar before? or any other tricks to gain a few horses? It's been a while since I had my carburator off but I think I have either one or two 4hole spacers stacked on top of eachother. Would it be better to add a 2-hole on top of the four. Im sure someone here has tinkered with these before.

As always all information is appreciated.

My moter man has done some playing with spacers on race setups. Recomended a combo of 1 inch spacers. Plan on trying it next year. Think I have done about everything else. Plan on playing with the lenth on the exaust also.

HVH super sucker is actually a 4 hole spacer to a open one. its 2 inches so the very top is 4 holes and then opens up.

More imprtantly,did yall see the hp and torque numbers that 318 made?Dang!And all you 318 haters say its a waste of time to modify a 318,yea right!

haha ya thats a HUGE cam also, Put that in my 360 and we can race haha

I played around a little with a 4 hole versus open 1" spacer between the 750 and Weiand POS team G single plane. Found there was a noticable increase in off idle response, especially when ya plant her, with the 4 hole. Anyway that's the last time I'm using a single plane that's been kicking around my garage, going to a Performer RPM.

Terry

More imprtantly,did yall see the hp and torque numbers that 318 made?Dang!And all you 318 haters say its a waste of time to modify a 318,yea right!

Oh please..thats not a 318 anymore and theres probably twice as much money in that as it would take to get the same results from a 340/360...

Oh please..thats not a 318 anymore and theres probably twice as much money in that as it would take to get the same results from a 340/360...

:angry7:Uh, hmmm, that doesnt make since? Why woudnt it be a 318? Dont count overbores, as everyone does that during a build. For christ sakes, like them or not, lets respect the motor, as many have them, some proving that they will be up to a challenge. The motors will perform, if given the chance.

To the OP: I would give the four hole spacer a shot. It would be better suited for low end torque, which your teen will like. I ran one on under my 650, with a XE268 cam. It worked fairly well.

It worked better on my 340 in the Cuda, but better flowing heads, carb, and compression will typically be better suited for a spacer. Have fun experimenting. Glad to see that you are still going strong with work on your Duster.

-Justin

check ebay thats were i got my HVH and I also have a 4 hole spacer for sale thats not hvh

:angry7:Uh, hmmm, that doesnt make since? Why woudnt it be a 318? Dont count overbores, as everyone does that during a build. For christ sakes, like them or not, lets respect the motor, as many have them, some proving that they will be up to a challenge. The motors will perform, if given the chance.

To the OP: I would give the four hole spacer a shot. It would be better suited for low end torque, which your teen will like. I ran one on under my 650, with a XE268 cam. It worked fairly well.

It worked better on my 340 in the Cuda, but better flowing heads, carb, and compression will typically be better suited for a spacer. Have fun experimenting. Glad to see that you are still going strong with work on your Duster.

-Justin

Thanks Justin. I'll try the 4-hole. I have had some head work done and my engine builder said I should have 9:1 compression so I am hoping to notice something with a spacer even if it's marginal. There so cheap so I wouldn't be out much.

Thanks Justin. I'll try the 4-hole. I have had some head work done and my engine builder said I should have 9:1 compression so I am hoping to notice something with a spacer even if it's marginal. There so cheap so I wouldn't be out much.

Well the compression sounds even better. Give it a shot and see how the seat of the pants feel is. I am guessing it wont be significant by any means, but if just experiementing, go for it.

By the way, did you ever get the gearing and torque converter sorted out on that thing?

-
Back