Carbon Fiber Body Panels Etc

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
Does anyone know of carbon fiber body panels being made for 1974 Plymouth Dusters? What about a carbon six pack hood?

Haven't heard a thing about carbon fiber panels being made and sold commercially.

Nope nothing at all. Find a company willing to do it and they'll quote 1500+ for a hood. I've sent a few emails as well as phone calls....

Riddler

There is a shop in Canada that makes some carbon fiber panels.....Believe one of Bartons SS HEMI cars has one of there hoods......How much coin do you have?? Hopefully truck loads.....It has been discussed here a while back.....contact 805moparkid about it.....he was the fellow that mentioned it....But from what I remember they were only making them for cars that are eligible to run in the Super Stock class (68's)

a few years out yet. I'm hoping to get into making CF hoods and bumpers but not until I move back to the mainland and have a shop to make them in- something we are planning to do after wife finishes school.
I figure I'll put my previous fiberglass experience to use for the good of A-body enthusiasts.

There is a shop in Canada that makes some carbon fiber panels.....Believe one of Bartons SS HEMI cars has one of there hoods......How much coin do you have?? Hopefully truck loads.....It has been discussed here a while back.....contact 805moparkid about it.....he was the fellow that mentioned it....But from what I remember they were only making them for cars that are eligible to run in the Super Stock class (68's)

Synergy Composites in Strathroy, ON, Canada built CF body panels for Pro Mods and SS/AH Cars. They built the fenders and hood for my '68 Cuda NSS car.

I don't think they made any Duster panels but I could be mistaken.

Their CF is nice quality and dead straight. The panels went on with no fitting issues and painted up better than steel. If I remember right it was $1,200 for the SS hood and $1,100 for each fender. Not cheap but well worth the money if you want 1st class competition body panels.

I think Tim sold out a year or so ago and the CF molding business went to a US company.

I hope this helps.

I work in an aircraft plant that makes carbon fiber aircraft parts.
Its not cheap to build them right.
The equipment alone to properly cure the parts is very high.

Watched an episode of 'How It's Made' doing carbon fiber parts earlier today. Showed them puting multiple layers into mold and vacuuming resin into it. Very labor intensive.

Watched an episode of 'How It's Made' doing carbon fiber parts earlier today. Showed them puting multiple layers into mold and vacuuming resin into it. Very labor intensive.

It is cool they had an episode on that, it is call vacuum infusion, it is the cave man way to make carbon fiber parts, most are laminates made this way are full of porosity and voids.

Much better laminates are made from frozen carbon fiber that already has the resin in it.
It is thawed out and placed in a mold, just like the show you watched .
Vacuum bagged and placed in a autoclave to cure.
(An autoclave holds vacuum on the part and applies pressure with nitrogen).

-
Back