Carburator Recomendation

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am ready to place the order on my new carb for my set up, but I need some input/suggestions.

Engine and basic info:

Small block 410
Max RPM 6500
Shift RPM 6000
Very minor street use ( drive to the track only ), most strip action
No choke required.
Drag Racing Application.
Elevation Sea Level.

Some online calculators are giving a 850 cfm carb will be fine...

Any input suggestions on what carb to purchase?

That's what i will be trying out this summer. Only have a 650 on my 408 stroker, and it work good! HOW EVER, i live at 6800 feet. Not much air up here.

I have a 394 ci pump gas small block and I picked up over a tenth and 2 mph in the 1/8 going from a 950hp to a 1050 dominator. There is still more in it because it is running on the rich side now.

I ran an 850 DP with a 50cc front pump on my tame 10.1, .590" cammed 340, 4.30 geared, 4200 verter Cuda and gained 2/10ths over a 750DP. I would suggest on a 410 if you got the cam/gears/verter etc. a 950 or even a dommy would work, but an 850 race holley or 950 would be my purchase for now with the $$$$.

i have a brand new holley street avenger 770 carb vacuumn secondary electric choke that has barely any runtime on it. I want to switch to an 850 dp If interested.

Ethanol eats up quik-fuels . Holleys hold up better to the corrosive moisture that collects while sitting. I don't know why quik fuels just start forming a white chalky substance inside. And it starts eating into the bowl and metering block. Unless you run ethanol free race fuel

Remember a Dominator likes a trans brake to get the air moving on a small block... I went from 10.90's on the footbrake with a dominator to 10.50's with a "too small" 850DP...

Budget 850 from proform...
http://paceperformance.com/i-895222...with-electric-choke-mechanical-secondary.html

Holley 850
http://paceperformance.com/i-20756188-holley-performance-double-pumper-carburetor-0-4781sa.html

HOLLEY 950
http://paceperformance.com/i-6109244-holley-performance-street-hp-carburetor-0-82951.html

5% off Through me at PACE, if you're looking to go new that is. and we obviously have hundreds of others if you truthfully don't want a choke horn. let me know. Be glad to help with the selection even if you're just looking for a used one. I race a 408, 7000 rpm engine myself.

Ethanol eats up quik-fuels . Holleys hold up better to the corrosive moisture that collects while sitting. I don't know why quik fuels just start forming a white chalky substance inside. And it starts eating into the bowl and metering block. Unless you run ethanol free race fuel

Since when..been running a quickfuel for 5 seasons have seen nothing your talking about..

Like Horseshoe49 said,Call Pro Systems and have Patrick build you one from your motor specs. I have a 431 Mopar sb stroker and he built me a 950hp with dominator circuits. I'm not sure you can over carb a small block stroker. Plus his support is second to none!

Like Horseshoe49 said,Call Pro Systems and have Patrick build you one from your motor specs. I have a 431 Mopar sb stroker and he built me a 950hp with dominator circuits. I'm not sure you can over carb a small block stroker. Plus his support is second to none!

ProSystems built my 1050 to my engine specs for my small block and sent me a spec sheet. It was identical to some people I know that he built 1050's for 500 ci big blocks. On the sheet he sent me it said it had 40 squirters but it had 45's. It is so rich it gas fouls plugs. I would not recommend them to anybody.

C&S Specialties did me a aerosal 800 vac sec for my small block a few yrs back, runs great, Pro System, BoLaws, Braswell,AED are great also.

I think most all the recommendations are too big. I know it's a stroker, but you are only talking about 6500 RPM max. I believe a 750 DP will be all you will need.

I have a practically brand new holley 750 ultra aluminum double pumper for sale. Comes woth gas blocks and E85 blocks. Cost me 1300-1400 to convert but selling for 750 plus shipping. Going Efi now. Has less than 500 miles on it. Was on my 410 stroker that I sold, made 530hp to crank. Also these nee ultra xp carbs flow wayyyy better than the old style carbs, this carb flows basically what the old 950hp would have flowed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 256
Since when..been running a quickfuel for 5 seasons have seen nothing your talking about..

I ran pump gas in my carb at the end of the summer. I ran the primaries out of fuel by shutting off the pump. In one month when going to start the car after sitting in the cold the primary needle stuck. I pulled the carb off and found what I explained in the primaries. and the top of the secondaries from the fuel line up. I had other carbs on the same car and never saw this problem. BLP , Holley and Proform. since then I have seen this in one other Quick fuel.

My e85 carb was built by Mark Sullens THE best E85 carb builder.

-
Back