carfax report

-

vtmopar

Reaction score
Looking at a vehicle for my wife, does anyone have a carfax account I could pursade to help me out?

Just a bit of warning. Not everything gets sent to Carfax so don't put your full trust in their information.

^what he said is 100% true! I was looking at a 2006 Subaru STI, 100% clean car fax report. However something just didn't seem right about it and I took it to the dealer to get looked at. The car had been in a MAJOR wreck but the previous/original owner half assed it back together and painted it. The service manager showed me everything and said "this car should be crushed." He proceeded to log the cars vin in the computer and flagged the car in all nationwide dealers in Subaru HQ. about two months later I still had the vin and went into a Subaru dealership (in no way related to the first dealer) with the vin in hand I asked for a fog light kit. Guess what, car popped up with a red flag.

Yep, they run around to shops and say "Hey, can I put in this server to log everything you do so it's in a nationwide database?"... A lot of owners say "Hell no. My customer's privacy is more important than your for-profit database".

Their database only reflects work done in shops that allow their system.

Carfax has been shown to be nearly worthless.

Agree x2.

Tell them you want to take it to your mechanic. If they start waffling then run. If they don't take it to a trusted mechanic.

I am a mechanic.
All set thanks. Just wanted make sure that there report matched mine.
It's a 2 years old vehicle carfax is a great tool as long as its not over 4 years old.
Anything through insurance goes on the report.

Not only do they not show everything, they often exagerate an accident or will make a car look like it has had more owners than it really did !

Say a kia rear ends a cummins 1 ton...The Kia sustains 8000.00 damage from hitting the bumper and reciever of the truck and goes under it. The 1 ton needs a new bumper...
Both vehicle carfaxes will show a SEVERE accident ! I am in the car business and have seen this !

Now say your Company leases you a car and you buy it at end...then you move to another state. It may appear on Carfax that there were 4 owners due to title changes unless you really now how to interpret the carfax... Seen it many times...

Don't even get me started on Edmunds and the like. They will tell you anything you want to hear as far as pricing in order to get you to hit thier site ! They make thier money off ads...the more hits to thier site...the more they can charge for the ads ! They don't care if they send you on a wild goose chase for an unattainable price ! You will leave a dealership hating the salesman..not Edmunds...

These sites are not run by a bunch of Tibeten Monks..they make a butt load of $$$$$$$$

And my body guy tells me that if he does a frame check to see if there is damage....VOILA.... The car is now marked as frame damage !

I am a mechanic.
All set thanks. Just wanted make sure that there report matched mine.
It's a 2 years old vehicle carfax is a great tool as long as its not over 4 years old.
Anything through insurance goes on the report.

That isn't correct either. My daughter is driving an Accord right now that she rear ended a SUV and totaled her car. I bought it back from the insurance company and fixed it just over a year ago. She just went looking for a new car and we ran a Carfax to see what was on it and it came up totally clean. Actually this car has been wrecked twice since I bought it and fixed it the first time too.

Educate yourself here by reading the
cbs_logo.gif
report.

Carfax is an online company that searches databases for a vehicle's history, clairming to be "your best protection against buying a used car with costly, hidden problems."

But, critics say when it comes to many accidents, online reporting companies fall short. A class-action lawsuit against Carfax claims the company doesn't have access to police accident data in 23 states. Nor access to insurance companies accident databases.

http://www.autopi.com/carfaxCBS.html

People have warned you that everything may not be there and if you choose not to pay attention then don't cry later if you find issues.

Here is some more reading for you. 368 complaints.....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/carfax_inacc.html

Brian of San Ramon, CA on May 27, 2013
Satisfaction Rating1/5
Purchased a used Toyota Corolla with 88k miles from a private party, who informed me they were the 2nd owner and that it was never in any accidents. Pulled CARFAX and it APPEARED to be true. I purchased the said vehicle and 5 months later, the mechanic states that it was in a past front-end collision and showed me the damage repair. I pulled an autocheck report, which showed 3 title changes plus an auction announced as frame damage report. I will not be using CARFAX again. I recommend everyone use AUTOCHECK.

Kate of ., IL on April 15, 2013
Satisfaction Rating2/5
(April 2013) I just test drove a 2008 Lexus with a clean Carfax report. I noticed the windshield had been replaced. No big deal. Probably rock chips, right? Wrong. I asked to talk to the ex-owner who traded it in. The dealer gave me the name and number. When I spoke with the ex-owner, turns out the car had hit a guardrail in 2011, which busted the windshield, damaged the passenger's side door, wheel and quarter panel. I thanked the ex-owner for his honesty and told him I was surprised since Carfax showed no accidents. He could not understand why since he filed it on his insurance and a body shop did the repair - all covered by insurance.

Whatever ladies you have all the answers this reminds me why I did not renew my gold membership.

The fact that not all things get reported, helped me! Got rearendedin my '07 Mini Cooper S, had Frame Damage...it wasn't reported. Mini Dealer bought the car back for cash after Insurance fixed the car. other side, since the frame damage wasn't reported I didn't get nearly what I should ahve in my diminished value claim.

No don't trust Carfax completely,

Whatever ladies you have all the answers this reminds me why I did not renew my gold membership.

We are just trying to inform you of the facts but you choose not to listen and now you have to cry about it. Maybe your inability to listen is why you didn't renew your Gold membership or maybe you are just too tight.

Why don't you quit trying to be a cheap skate and pay for your own Carfax instead of trying to cheat the them?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I"]State Farm® - State of Disbelief (French Model) - YouTube[/ame]

I know a guy that has a car lot that just loves the people that rely strictly on Carfax. He buys wrecked impounds after running the Carfax and finding out it is clean, puts them back together and sells them with Carfax reports.

Here is just one weekly impound auction with the VINs listed.
http://www.storeywrecker.com//auction-list

I noticed the brand new carfax ads plaintly state "no one can can know everything...".

-
Back