Carter BBD #'s

-

dane1968

Reaction score
I have a Carter BBD 2bbl Carb with these #'s, 6-2317, 2378 and 2285. Can anyone tell Mr if this Carb us off a Super Six or a 318? Thanks, Dane

The easiest way to tell visually if a BBD was originally for a 225 or 318 is to look at the large port for the PVC. if the tube is straight out from the body of the carb base it was for a 318, if the tube is curved to one side then it was meant for a 225.

I will look for the pix when I get home tonight and post em here

Well I wanted to upload the entire manual that I have but it was too big... here is an excerpt from it though.

Even though they dont recomment they be interchanged they physically can be and I have however fuel economy may suffer though I'm sure they can be jetted and tuned appropiately

Attachments

• From BBD_Manual.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 251
It will be going on my 63 225/6 and I don't see any issues as far as the PCV port angle. I'm also going tobe purchasing a BBD off of a 77 318 from a friend. If I'm not running any Pollution devices other than the PVC, can I use a 67-72 breather?

The port angle is not any kind of issue but only mentioned as an easy identification of the carb as you requested. Ive used the 318 carb on the slant without issues and even though I have the correct carb now I do keep a couple 318 BBD carbs around.

be sure and note the two long screws that go from the top casting down to the bottom casting. all these surface's need to be flat and smooth and dont NOT over tighten the long screws, just make them only tight enough, or you will have warped castings.

I recall there was an aftermarket Holley Economaster version of the 2 BBL small block carb. It was tuned leaner, which might be perfect for a slant. You see new ones occasionally on ebay. They were sold in the very late 70's thru 80's.

I recall there was an aftermarket Holley Economaster version of the 2 BBL small block carb. It was tuned leaner, which might be perfect for a slant. You see new ones occasionally on ebay. They were sold in the very late 70's thru 80's.
i got one of the holley economaster nos last year and put on my 318.runs good,didn't see that much of power loss.the also made one for the slant 6

-
Back