Center Cap Painting

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
I like the black center cap look that is available for the Rallye wheels on my 71 Dart. However, I'm going to save the money and just paint mine to match. I have cans of Eastwood Chassis Black leftover and am thinking of using it on-top of rustoleum etching primer.

Does anyone have experience with using a combination like this? or using Eastwood Chassis Black on their wheels?

thanks

I like the black center cap look that is available for the Rallye wheels on my 71 Dart. However, I'm going to save the money and just paint mine to match. I have cans of Eastwood Chassis Black leftover and am thinking of using it on-top of rustoleum etching primer.

Does anyone have experience with using a combination like this? or using Eastwood Chassis Black on their wheels?

thanks

I painted my rallye wheels with Dupli-Color "Hyper Silver" over their self etching primer. For the caps I used VHT's paint. I can't remember the name though. You should be fine, just be sure they are prepped well. I blasted mine, cleaned them and then did light coats.

Here are some pics. The wheel is just sitting on top of the tire.

IMG_20140411_194607_508.jpg

IMG_20140407_201310_493.jpg

I painted my rallye wheels with Dupli-Color "Hyper Silver" over their self etching primer. For the caps I used VHT's paint. I can't remember the name though. You should be fine, just be sure they are prepped well. I blasted mine, cleaned them and then did light coats.

Here are some pics. The wheel is just sitting on top of the tire.

View attachment 1715154718

View attachment 1715154719
Looks nice!! I'm running the same tires as well

You should be fine if you follow proper painting protocol. There are MANY ways to do it. I'm an experienced painter, and here is how I'd do it:
THOROUGHLY clean the wheels. Then wet sand them with 320 followed by 400. Sand out all chips and nicks. Then THOROUGHLY clean them again with hot soapy water and rinse. Give them lots of time to dry. If you have a compressor, blow into the crevice between the center and outer sections of the wheel. A lot of moisture and dirt will come out the other side. Wipe the wheels with some type of pre paint wax and grease remover. Give plenty of time to dry. Blow out the crevice mentioned above of any of the wax and grease remover got into it. Apply the primer. Follow manufacturer's instructions for drying times and top coat preparation. Spray the color following the manufacturer's instructions.

-
Back