Center Link

-

Geo4K

Just your average Gearhead.
Reaction score
Quick question, concerning my 69 Dart, I have my front end apart (it's been a while) and I don't recall if there is a specific right and left side to the center link.... They look similar, but I can't quite tell.

Can ya hook a brother up?

Many Thanks, George

I just looked at mine. Its not installed but assembled in as removed condition and it looks to be symmetric for the pitman and idler arm to tie rod locations. just be sure the bow goes the right way but the tapered shanks will let you know if you have it right.

I always thought the center link was symmetrical. It certainly looks to be.Then a couple years ago a member had a issue with 73 up front steering assembly. A inner tie rod end hitting oil pan or something. He switched the center link end for end and cured it. So that left me wondering about all 67 up center links.
We might go by where the end with the numbers stamped was placed and I recall going and looking at my 75 ( never disassembled as far as I know ) during that thread. I don't recall the definitive answer if there was one.
Bottom line... bolt it in. If there's an issue, try switching it end for end.

True that, at least I know for sure which is up and down! I was good about marking most other pieces with a plastic tie for the driver's side, but must of been distracted by a pizza delivery at this particular stage.

I'll address this Saturday and report back. Thanks for chiming in.

Last edited:
talking about left and right my 69 barracuda also looks symmetrical.
While we are on the left right question my swaybar has a little hump on it does it go up or down, from the manual it looks like it goes up so thats the way I installed the bushings. If I got it wrong I'll probably have to throw away the bushings no way they will come out.

Dave, here's mine before I pulled it apart, the "hump" is up. BTW, how did yo get your bushings in? Mine are being a PITA!!

Front sway bar.JPG

Dave, here's mine before I pulled it apart, the "hump" is up. BTW, how did yo get your bushings in? Mine are being a PITA!!

View attachment 1715030527
Actually it took about 30 minutes. I used the Poly bushings. I used dawn soap and a lot of it ( a lot cleaner than grease I guess any lube would work well), Put the housings on the bar, and double check you have left and right on the correct side, I offered mine up to the K frame just to be sure. Soap up the bushing and bar and push them over the ends, not easy but not difficult.
Now the interesting part I used a pair of channel locks kinda got one side in and worked around. One side was a real pits as the housing was deformed (from a ground hit ?) It seems that once you get it started it just pops in easily getting it started is the problem.
Probably easier with rubber but a lot easier than putting headers on an abody.
Can you measure up the length of your sway bar links I got the ones that Summit said where correct but then again they where wrong with strut rod bushings. Just want to double check before putting them in.

BTW - Make sure you get them right because they wont come out in one piece thats for certain. If you had told me the bump goes down I would have just ordered new bushings wouldnt even attempt to get them out in one piece.

Sure thing Dave, I'll measure them when I get home form work this evening.

I had to buy a set of new/used housings as one of mine was really warped from a ground hit. Now I'll just pick the best two and will use them.

Thanks the spacers on my kit are 2.6 inches. which when assembled would give something like 4.2 face to face.
IMG_20170322_125007.jpg

I always thought the center link was symmetrical. It certainly looks to be.Then a couple years ago a member had a issue with 73 up front steering assembly. A inner tie rod end hitting oil pan or something. He switched the center link end for end and cured it. So that left me wondering about all 67 up center links.
We might go by where the end with the numbers stamped was placed and I recall going and looking at my 75 ( never disassembled as far as I know ) during that thread. I don't recall the definitive answer if there was one.
Bottom line... bolt it in. If there's an issue, try switching it end for end.

I think the 73-newer is a different center link.

-
Back