Champion Radiator Transmission Line Size

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there with a new Champion radiator with a manual trans? I need to plug the tranny holes but I can't figure out what size plug I need. I tried to use my tap set to figure it out but no luck. Any ideas?

Don't have that radiator, but all I have seen use pipe threads, usually 1/4" NPT as I recall. Plugging is just keep dirt out. It wouldn't leak water if left open or plugged w/ paper.

I just got a champion radiator and I do believe that is correct 1/4" npt. It did come with a nipple you could use for a size comparison or at least mine did.

The Champion radiator in my son's Dart uses 5/16 inverted flare fittings. We had to have a friend machine a custom pair of 5/16 flare to 5/16 inverted flare adapters to attach the trans cooler lines. Challengergary verified that the fittings are in fact 5/16 inverted flare. If you're just blocking them off, you can get the 5/16 inverted flare plugs at any hardware store.

The Champion radiator in my son's Dart uses 5/16 inverted flare fittings. We had to have a friend machine a custom pair of 5/16 flare to 5/16 inverted flare adapters to attach the trans cooler lines. Challengergary verified that the fittings are in fact 5/16 inverted flare. If you're just blocking them off, you can get the 5/16 inverted flare plugs at any hardware store.

I might need a pair or 2 of those in the future. What was the price for them?

I might need a pair or 2 of those in the future. What was the price for them?

My friend did them for nothing....took him like 30 minutes to mod two 5/16 flare unions. You could probably do the same mod in a drill press and get satisfactory results. If there is enough demand for this type of fitting, I could see what it might cost to have a run of a dozen or two machined up for sale.

Here's a photo of the machined fittings:

Attachments

• Trans cooler fittings.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 834
I talked to my friend the machinist and he agreed to machine up 20 of these fittings for me. If anyone is interested, send me a pm and when they are finished I will let you know. Price looks like $17 per pair shipped. Additional pairs will be $12 shipped by combining shipping.

-
Back