Change a '64 Valiant to '65

-

A/MP

Reaction score
I have a factory 273/4V and would like it in a Valiant. I found a '64 in good condition. What will it take to make it a '65? I am familiar with '63-66 Darts. Are the Valiant's about the same as the body changed? Thanks

Huh?
A 64 Valiant is virtually the same car as a 65 Valiant. Tail lights are different and maybe the grill. Why try to make it something it's not?

They're similar, however:

Different trim spears
Different folds/lines on the front fenders+grille
Cable-column auto gear shift instead of pushbuttons on '64
Different cluster and dash-entirely different
Different trunk deck (lower on '64)
Tail light bezels+lenses cannot interchange.
'65 uses bottle windshield washer, '64 has bag washer, if so equipped.
AC is usually integral to the heater on the '65, on the '64 it is usually dealer-installed and a separate unit.
Wiper arms on '64 are secured with acorn nuts, on the '65 they are press-fit.

IMO, the 65 grille looks much better! I would change that if it were mine! Geof

I like the '65 front fenders a little better- on the '64 you have a line that doesn't "flow". I love the '65 grille- it's my favorite of the '63-'66 series. The '64 one is beautiful in its spartan simplicity however, and goes well with the clean, uncluttered look of a two door hardtop.
I always liked round tail lenses better, so I'd give the '65 an edge there.

That would be difficult switch because you'd have to graft the rear tail light area from a 65 on there. The front would be an easy switch, just fenders, hood and grille change. The rest of the trim is an easy fix. I'm partial to the simplicity of the '64 myself, but that's a personal thing.

Another potential concern about a '64-'65 conversion would be the core support has a smaller hole in '64 for the radiator. The '64 had a 19" radiator, which was inadequate cooling for the freshly introduced 273, so they enlarged it to 22" in 1965.

For that reason alone, I'd recommend trading your '64 for a '65 to start from, or make peace with chopping out the core support and grafting the rear taillights.

-
Back