Changing front/rear bumpers on 1975 Dodge Dart

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I know this is a farily common mod, but I've found a nice '73 but dont care for those bumpers. Is it a big job to either replace them w/72 styles or even cut the big heavy bar our and bring the original bumper in closer- ie, remove that filler pan. How expensive would it be and is it worth the work? Thanks, George

The rear bumper can be replaced with a 70-72 Duster style if you're handy with a welder.
The front...You are stuck with a 73-76 design due to the peak in the middle of the grille. A '73 fits tighter than the 74-76 year design. Again, a bit of fab work to the frame rails and you can tuck '73 year model bumpers in tight like this one:

Dart 4.JPG

Dart 5.JPG

Dart 3.JPG

If you can’t do the work, it will be more expensive than just paying more for a pre-‘72 Dart. Beak cars are cool if you give them some tire and rake.

I think you meant to say "75" in the text, not "73." Plus you are looking at a Dart hardtop, not the Dart Sport/Demon body. The fact that the car has already been painted would make the job more difficult, I would think. 73's just have heavy steel plates behind the bumpers, and those plates, along with the bumper guards, can be removed, saving (according to my memory) almost fifty pounds. 75's would have huge pistons behind the bumpers and would be more difficult to modify. However, I found a pic online which, assuming it's accurately described as a 75, suggests even the 75 bumpers can be tucked in quite a bit. Can't say how, though.

922d1445386299-1975-dodge-dart-340-stroker-s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back