Changing interior colour?

-

68darrt

Reaction score
I am hoping i can change the colour of my door panels, headliner... etc from white to black. My interior is in great shape, I just want to change the colour. Does anyone know of any methods that work for doing this? maybe a dye or somthing?

I am in the process of doing this right now. Some small parts can be sprayed with vinyl dye (arm rests and bases). You MIGHT be able to do your door panels, but I doubt you would get good results on the headliner.

Vinyl paint cost me about $15 a can and I knew someone at the store.

You will NOT get good results with vinyl dye of ANY kind if you use it on your seat covers...........Don't do it......you'll just ruin the car.

Plastic parts that are currently white can be nicely done by thorough cleaning, wiping with prep solvent, and spraying with Krylon Fusion.....it has an adhesion additive in it and it works great with these parts.....and it works great over the metal parts too (clean and lightly steel wool #0000 before spray) enabling you to match the color exactly.

Door panels should be dyed after cleaning and rinsing, with adhesion promoter sprayed on first.

I'm not sure what type of headliner you have......if it's a soft liner with a vinyl coating, I might try vinyl dye with adhesion promoter first.......if it's cloth, a dye would probably work, but it will soak in and probably streak a little from the spray.

Your best bet will be to buy new seat covers in black, and sell the ones you have if you remove them very carefully.....wash them first while on the seat, coat them with a good vinyl treatment, and then remove them.

Again, if you dye the seats, it will crack and you'll regret it........it only holds up for a very short time wherever people will be sitting. :read2:

Door panels and such are easy enough to change with dye. Dying seat covers is just not a good plan. Their welt beads create nips that you can't get the dye into. Then yer butt will wear it off.

Ya , im actually not doing the seats - ( im swithcing up to some black a-100's)but i am gonna do the door panels, and hopefully the headliner. Thanks for all the info !!

let us know how the headliner turns out....im going to be doing my headliner from green to black pretty soon with the duplicolour vinyl paint and i would be interested to hear how it turns out for you....what colour is your interior currently?

I used the Krylon Fusion to redo about half of the interior in my SUV and it turned out AWESOME! Like Pastortom1 said the key is taking your time with prep. Also, I went the route of "more light coats is better than fewer heavy coats" Had the interior panels hanging suspened from the rafter is my garage for more than a week. But the wait was worth it. Good luck! Post some pics and let us see how it turns out.

-
Back