Changing spark plugs in a small block 360 Any recommendations on which brands are the best to use?

-
How much do you know about spark plugs? As in.. what do you know about plugs that leads you to believe there's an "upgrade" and what does "upgrade" mean to you exactly? What don't you like about the champions? Are you trying to find power in changing spark plugs..?..
if so , stop wasting your time.
Go play with the distributor timing and advance... that can find you more power.
Makes me laugh at that one. A close friend is replacing his Mopar electronic distributor for one of those Whiz Bang 2000 units and matching coil and wires. Going to make a hotter spark and more power! :thumbsup: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

How much do you know about spark plugs? As in.. what do you know about plugs that leads you to believe there's an "upgrade" and what does "upgrade" mean to you exactly? What don't you like about the champions? Are you trying to find power in changing spark plugs..?..
if so , stop wasting your time.
Go play with the distributor timing and advance... that can find you more power.

I’m going to tell you a little story about Champion spark plugs. I’ve told you guys stories about the 1970’s and how we street raced almost nightly. Well I had Champion plugs in my 340 that a local Mopar engine builder built for me. After I had 600 miles on a set of plugs I had to make a 3 mile drive to a hill that I still climb almost daily. I had to go down into Freeport and when I climbed the hill I had to lug it down in third gear and jump on it. Boom boom it would backfire twice every day I did it then it was race ready. Well I asked the engine builder and he asked Champion spark plugs. Yep. Well throw them away and get Autolite plugs and gap them at .028. It never backfired again. Hmmmm

NGKs are by far the easiest plug to read. Don’t ask me why.
The NGK are Cad Plated. So you can read easy.
For me cheap best is Autolight, if not Champion Copper, NGK for more $ but last.
Years back i bought 100. Champion. Funny same number Edlebrock says to use in my Mopar small block aluim. Heads, and is same as my Honda generator, lawn mower, edger and a few more things.

This is like the oil debate. Valvoline, Mobil, QS, etc. I've run Champions in my Mopar for decades, zero issues. I've known guys to run just a regular copper core champion in 9 second cars without issue.

This is like the oil debate. Valvoline, Mobil, QS, etc. I've run Champions in my Mopar for decades, zero issues. I've known guys to run just a regular copper core champion in 9 second cars without issue.
I agree The Autolite and Champion are,at all major parts places for cheap. So it is whatever they have in the application you need. NGK cost more but are,easy to read.
I bought a close out on Champion at a buck each. So Champion it is.
Same goes for oil filters i still have 80-90 left. All were made by WIX. Some say Wix some are privately labeled. I have the common short, med and long (long is same as PH8A)
Fits 1957 Mopar up till don't fit. Lots of FORD'S and Chevy paid 80 cents to a buck each.
Also hope oil stays good because still have some i bought same time it was $0.49 to $0.59 a quart when Car Quest was bought by Advanced.

Thanks for all the info... not looking for more power, was just wondering what plug most folks prefer. Installed the Autolites.

I’m going to tell you a little story about Champion spark plugs. I’ve told you guys stories about the 1970’s and how we street raced almost nightly. Well I had Champion plugs in my 340 that a local Mopar engine builder built for me. After I had 600 miles on a set of plugs I had to make a 3 mile drive to a hill that I still climb almost daily. I had to go down into Freeport and when I climbed the hill I had to lug it down in third gear and jump on it. Boom boom it would backfire twice every day I did it then it was race ready. Well I asked the engine builder and he asked Champion spark plugs. Yep. Well throw them away and get Autolite plugs and gap them at .028. It never backfired again. Hmmmm
Had the porcelain come loose in the 90's
Only used them one more time after that in volvo "only ones in stock"

[1] NGK pioneered the copper centre electrode.
[2] They didn't foul up like Champions did in Jap bikes
[3] I remember Champion magazine ads rubbishing the copper NGKs. Now Champion & others all use copper...
[4] Every brand of plug I have seen is plated, never bare steel
[5] Plat, Irid & fine wire plugs require less firing voltage. The benefit for the hot rodder is a bigger plug gap.
[6] Correct heat range for Chry V8s & 6s is a '5' in NGK, which is what I would use.

SplitFire. Best spark plugs ever.

92C7F455-3034-4AD1-8E1D-77AD171E0F92.jpeg

:rofl:

I use Denso Iridiums in my Motorcycles and my van. Order them and they show up in my mailbox or come out of a brown delivery truck. Anything else it’s whatever the parts store has a set of 8 of.

I have been running Champs RN12YC with MSD 6A with Blaster Coil plugs gapped @ .048 in my 340 for close to 19 years and never have I had any issues with Champs..

Because NGK plugs were recommended by others for nitrous I’ve had these sitting on my shelf for years for my 572 heads up build. I hope spark plugs Dont have a shelf life. Lol

image.jpg

I have a bunch of these Snake Oil Spitfire and Splitfire Platinum
The fancy Platinum come in a kool display case.
My buddy used to be manager at Western Auto. He always had reps come in and say try try these. So got me some discounted and free stuff back then.

20230711_135837.jpg

20230711_135845.jpg

I have a bunch of these Snake Oil Spitfire and Splitfire Platinum
The fancy Platinum come in a kool display case.
My buddy used to be manager at Western Auto. He always had reps come in and say try try these. So got me some discounted and free stuff back then.

View attachment 1716113324

View attachment 1716113325
There’s nothing actually wrong with those as you likely know. Throw out all the marketing nonsense, and they’re just a spark plug. Gap em, run em. I bought into the marketing when they first came out and ran them in an old 74 Sportster XLCH 74” built stroker that had kickstart w/magneto ignition. Ran great, had to be the plugs! :lol:

Autolite here but I understand Mopar used Champion "stock" fromthe factory for years...maybe they were a "cheap"...

-
Back