Changing to light hood springs

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
I have the front fenders off my '72 Dart for paint, and the hood springs are sitting right there.

This year I am going to keep the stock hood, but at some time in the future buy a glass hood with scoop. So it will require light springs.

Now would be the easiest time to swap springs, but then I'd need a rod to hold up my steel hood until I get the glass one... I am wondering if it is even possible to change the springs with the fenders and doors attached to the car. It looks like I could reach behind the fender if the splash shield is removed. Anyone done this?
thanks
Charles

So where do I get a set of low tension springs? I've been searching all over the Internet... nobody seems to carry them!

Member atomic dog here makes them or was at one time. Also heard that the Dayton FWD hood hinges may work. I think you would be better off without any springs at all and use a good prop.
I say this because I have a AAR fiberglass on my 67' barracuda and the lightweight springs seem to be to strong still.

Have a set of light weight hood springs. Got them from a member here, don't remember who. Have a "heavy duty" glass hood with a HEMI scoop from USBody. Springs are not strong enough to hold the hood up. Have a Fox body prop rod.....

I have a 70 duster and changed to a lighter springs with fenders on car.Take the splash guards and wheel off .

Have a set of light weight hood springs. Got them from a member here, don't remember who. Have a "heavy duty" glass hood with a HEMI scoop from USBody. Springs are not strong enough to hold the hood up. Have a Fox body prop rod.....

Hmmm... how much does that hood weigh? I'm thinking of an AAR Fiberglass piece that weighs 26 lbs. If I need a prop rod anyway, I might as well just remove the springs!

Hmmm... how much does that hood weigh? I'm thinking of an AAR Fiberglass piece that weighs 26 lbs. If I need a prop rod anyway, I might as well just remove the springs!
Mine was right around there. Just use a prop rod. Fox body one fits like it belongs there...

You will not like having to deal with using a prop every time you have to raise the hood.I have a aar 6 pak hood and bought the light springs from atomic dog on this site and they work fine.

I have the front fenders off my '72 Dart for paint, and the hood springs are sitting right there.

This year I am going to keep the stock hood, but at some time in the future buy a glass hood with scoop. So it will require light springs.

Now would be the easiest time to swap springs, but then I'd need a rod to hold up my steel hood until I get the glass one... I am wondering if it is even possible to change the springs with the fenders and doors attached to the car. It looks like I could reach behind the fender if the splash shield is removed. Anyone done this?
thanks
Charles
Yes I have changed hood hinges with the fenders on. Just take out the inner splash shield.

-
Back