Changing Transmission Gasket and Filter

-

cwatts

Reaction score
I'm going to change my tranny filter and gasket due to a leaky gasket. I really don't want a mess all over my garage floor. Has anybody used one of those pumps that go down the dipstick and syphon out all the fluid ? If so how did it work ? I also bought a Moroso gasket, does it still require gasket sealer ?
Thanks

I'm going to change my tranny filter and gasket due to a leaky gasket. I really don't want a mess all over my garage floor. Has anybody used one of those pumps that go down the dipstick and syphon out all the fluid ? If so how did it work ? I also bought a Moroso gasket, does it still require gasket sealer ?
Thanks
Yes. Use one on my daughters BMW and works pretty good. Sure it will cut down on you mess but keep a drain pan and paper towels handy.

Ive tried pumping fluid out. It removes some but always leaves some in pan.
I loosen all the bolts about 3/4 of the way and completely remove 6 of them around a corner. Make the corner your lowest point.
I always end up making a mess tho lol

While your at it toss out the stock pan and get a new one with a drain plug. And only use the new style Mopar gasket (for a 727 #2464324AC, for a 904 #4295875AC) you won't be sorry. No sealer. And don't over-torque the bolts.

Ive tried pumping fluid out. It removes some but always leaves some in pan.
I loosen all the bolts about 3/4 of the way and completely remove 6 of them around a corner. Make the corner your lowest point.
I always end up making a mess tho lol
Reality here, for an proper transmission service... Nice description, Steve... That filter, really needs to regular changed, every 25 k miles, or so...

I remove all bolts except the ones at 4 corners, then slowly back off one side and let the pan "tilt" into the drain pan. You could loosen them so that one corner "tilts" into the drain pan if you get creative in your bolt loosening sequence. Also make sure the pan flange is straight before reinstalling and don't over torque. I think we are talking inch pounds, but don't recall the spec. I run 4 speed, but spent some time working in a trans shop during my Auto Service career.

What works best for me is someone elses garage/floor. A trans shop would properly service it, adjusting bands, setting fluid level, etc... They'll get a better look at it too.
If you're absolutely certain the leak is the pan gasket and not the selector shaft seals, dipstick O ring, other, old shower curtain makes a decent tarp. Good luck either way

I have a pop rivet in the corner of the pan right about where the dip stick is.
Knock the head of the rivet off and drain the trans, then put a new rivet in it with a small dab of RTV around it.
Works perfect.

Or a pan with a drain works also as mentioned.

I have a pop rivet in the corner of the pan right about where the dip stick is.
Knock the head of the rivet off and drain the trans, then put a new rivet in it with a small dab of RTV around it.
Works perfect.

Or a pan with a drain works also as mentioned.
And the shank of the rivet is left rattling around inside the pan? Uh...

-
Back