Charger

-
You might be amazed at how few changes take place when he is doing the cutting and welding. Beautiful build!
Thanks 69conv. I just wish I was showing new progress rather than pics from the last 10 years. Maybe I'll be back at it by the time I finish updating this thread.

The TKX 5spd still needs floor mods but not as extensive as the TKO.
I know there's a big difference between installations in A and B bodies also. I think the shifter location doesn't align with the transmission crossmember on an A-body like it does with a B-body.

You should be proud of your work, you are kicking azz on one of my all time favorite body styles!

One thing I couldn't figure out is how does tremec think the end of the T56 vent tube is gonna clear the trans tunnel? So I ran a tube all the way up to the firewall. Now I like a 4x4 vent tube routed up high and what not.

Sadly, the used replacement hood and all of the work that went into modifying it were a waste. The new Hemi and 8/71 blower don't match the opening I made. A huge amount of effort was made to reinforce the hood to make up for the strength lost cutting that big hole. I guess we'll be getting another one to modify.
1710097828058.jpeg

- Next thing you know you'll be wanting air conditioning and someone to rub your feet! lol! I used to feel that a 'road trip' was never complete without at least one 'near death' experience.
Working on rebuilding the under dash heat AC box now and going with new Sanden compressor parallel flow condenser etc etc etc. Sound deadener in the floor, converted to PS, 6'th gear up the highway windows up AC on. And hey that Charger a factory AC car right? There you go. Tell your son hey lets add AC to the list....

PXL_20240308_014801896.jpg

Working on rebuilding the under dash heat AC box now and going with new Sanden compressor parallel flow condenser etc etc etc. Sound deadener in the floor, converted to PS, 6'th gear up the highway windows up AC on. And hey that Charger a factory AC car right? There you go. Tell your son hey lets add AC to the list....

View attachment 1716219622
His 1st car (the '68 Chevelle) had no air, heater, or defroster. We drove it cross country in January from Nebraska to his base in Georgia with a blanket on our laps and a small ceramic heater on the dash. It was below zero most of the way. We had to leave the windows cracked open to lessen the amount of frost forming (from our breaths) on the inside of the windows. Even so, we had to constantly use an ice scraper to see.

I had to beg him to allow a heater/defroster in the Charger. We bought a system from Vintage Air but without AC. It's so much more compact than the o.e.m. equipment and frees up more space under the dash.

He wanted to forego windshield wipers and I almost agreed because there was lack of clearance for the supercharger. _ However, I did manage to figure out a way to mount the wiper motor behind the firewall.

One thing I couldn't figure out is how does tremec think the end of the T56 vent tube is gonna clear the trans tunnel? So I ran a tube all the way up to the firewall. Now I like a 4x4 vent tube routed up high and what not.
With so many different things going on with this Charger and other projects I haven't even paid any attention to that vent yet. I guess I'll have to add it to our 'to do'' list.

With so many different things going on with this Charger and other projects I haven't even paid any attention to that vent yet. I guess I'll have to add it to our 'to do'' list.
I think if you leave vent as is its gonna rattle against trans tunnel. But yeah kick the can on that one thats a final assembly thing.

His 1st car (the '68 Chevelle) had no air, heater, or defroster. We drove it cross country in January from Nebraska to his base in Georgia with a blanket on our laps and a small ceramic heater on the dash. It was below zero most of the way. We had to leave the windows cracked open to lessen the amount of frost forming (from our breaths) on the inside of the windows. Even so, we had to constantly use an ice scraper to see.
i get that, i bought a 67 satellite in the middle of winter with no heater. not that it didn't work, no...... it wasn't there at all. the freezing gale blowing through the hole from under the dash at freeway speeds was unbelievable. we stopped after a while, i took my coat off and jammed it into the hole. no coat in winter was the better of two evils for the remainder of that journey, lol.
neil.

You can see in this picture why I had to cut that crossmember.
1710110710809.jpeg

One of my concerns was weakening the chassis and then adding massive power. The Charger's unibody was already showing damage from the original 440/727 torque. The right quarter panel had the dip by the sail panel that's not uncommon on these cars when subjected to a lot of hard launches. It was also starting to tear the leading edge next to the door. I've seen a few other B-bodies with similar stress damage.

The subframe connectors should stiffen the chassis quite a bit but that transmission crossmember/torsion bar assembly was pretty integral to strength. Cutting the center out of that is scary. I had to make the newly modified crossmember pretty stout.
1710113130009.jpeg

1710113147227.jpeg

1710113147631.jpeg

1710113184565.jpeg

1710113216364.jpeg

1710113240643.jpeg

1710113256680.jpeg

1710113307180.jpeg

1710113322680.jpeg

1710113600176.jpeg

1710113634264.jpeg

If you're wondering why I have such a large gap here - it's because we needed clearance for the speedometer cable.
1710113676490.jpeg

1710113705587.jpeg

1710113724170.jpeg

1710113736070.jpeg

1710113752037.jpeg

1710113766217.jpeg

1710113779947.jpeg

1710113794121.jpeg

1710113932249.jpeg

1710113960892.jpeg

1710113981050.jpeg

1710114010245.jpeg

1710114028290.jpeg

The upper portion of the crossmember looks flimsy in this photo but it is gussetted nicely where it ties into the original. It all gets welded together with the new tunnel that is going on over it.
1710114995913.jpeg

Last edited:
i get that, i bought a 67 satellite in the middle of winter with no heater. not that it didn't work, no...... it wasn't there at all. the freezing gale blowing through the hole from under the dash at freeway speeds was unbelievable. we stopped after a while, i took my coat off and jammed it into the hole. no coat in winter was the better of two evils for the remainder of that journey, lol.
neil.
Now, mygasser, you have to admit that trip in your Satellite was WAY more memorable than any trip in a cushy ride. As the saying goes, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" Of course, there are a crap load of guys that didn't get stronger pushing up daisies now. :BangHead:

That tunnel looks great! You gonna run one of those electronic reverse lockout things? I initially wired one up, it worked, then later stopped working. So went with mechanical Reverse Lockout Delete and took all the wiring out.

That tunnel looks great! You gonna run one of those electronic reverse lockout things? I initially wired one up, it worked, then later stopped working. So went with mechanical Reverse Lockout Delete and took all the wiring out.
You're talking above my pay grade. Most of the decisions on major purchases (like the Tremec) were made by Spence. I was involved in a lot of the research at times but this transmission has been sort of dropped in my lap. I do know we've attached some form of hydraulic control valving on the frame to reduce clutch shock and help the car to hook better.

Right now the Charger is on the rotisserie where every weld has been being re-welded if necessary and massaged until all weld seams have been disappearing. It's been primed and stripped several times to control surface rust in between modifications. When completed, the widened wheel tubs will look as though they were made of one single piece.

Most of my time has actually been spent on my Barracudas, Duster, Lil' Red, funnycar, Chevelle, go-carts, slot car tracks, building driving simulators, building a shop, and working on buddies cars. We did sell the '70 Roadrunner and my AAR clone so I don't have those 2 in my workload anymore.

Hey, how many ponies are you getting out of your 414 stroker? My 408 dyno'd at 520.

You're talking above my pay grade. Most of the decisions on major purchases (like the Tremec) were made by Spence. I was involved in a lot of the research at times but this transmission has been sort of dropped in my lap. I do know we've attached some form of hydraulic control valving on the frame to reduce clutch shock and help the car to hook better.

Right now the Charger is on the rotisserie where every weld has been being re-welded if necessary and massaged until all weld seams have been disappearing. It's been primed and stripped several times to control surface rust in between modifications. When completed, the widened wheel tubs will look as though they were made of one single piece.

Most of my time has actually been spent on my Barracudas, Duster, Lil' Red, funnycar, Chevelle, go-carts, slot car tracks, building driving simulators, building a shop, and working on buddies cars. We did sell the '70 Roadrunner and my AAR clone so I don't have those 2 in my workload anymore.

Hey, how many ponies are you getting out of your 414 stroker? My 408 dyno'd at 520.
My engine is 500 hp and 500 tq at crank. Torque hits hard down low and revs a lot faster then a 340. Your 408 sounds real stout.

Looking forward to seeing more Charger progress. Car is gonna be totally bad ***.

-
Back