cheap vs expensive flexplate

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
its the converter that is actually weighted. if you have a weighted converter the regular flexplate is good. if you dont have a weighted converter, you will need a special flexplate for the 360 that can be had through summit or similar

an oem flexplate for 360 WILL NOT be balanced...the OEM 360 converter had the weights for the balance...the oem flexplate is neutral balanced meaning no weights.

the 360 b&m flexflate is balanced for the 360 will no weight on the converter....

now if your converter has weights on it already...then you can use the OEM flexplate...

Well, the B&M Flexplates are definitely what I'd call Tank-Armor Material. That being whatever you throw at it, it's just going to laugh at you and wait for more abuse. :D A very stout piece of equipment.

The Stock flexplates have no kind of balance to them, they're neutral, you can run it behind any mopar with the same bolt pattern on the crank. If you've got a Neutral Balance Torque Converter (most aftermarket converters are neutral balance, stock converters for the 360 and certain other engines have weights welded to them), then your only choices are to buy a 360 to Neutral Balance B&M Flexplate or buy a Weight Kit and weld them to your torque converter in the correct places.

so i can run my 318 plate that i have, if i buy a weighted converter?

heres the converter im looking at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-27-20

i just noticed it says balanced, but i should call to see if that means weights or just balanced.

i know how to weld but i dont want to mess 250 bucks up haha

the converter itself maybe balanced...but is it balanced for a 360...?

see the two weights between the drain plug...those are the weights that the 360 needs to be externally balanced.

or the newer one might have one larger single weight...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 262
the converter itself maybe balanced...but is it balanced for a 360...?

see the two weights between the drain plug...those are the weights that the 360 needs to be externally balanced.

or the newer one might have one larger single weight...

I am not sure about this, so, investigate further, but I believe the 360 L-A external balance amount imay be different from the 360 Magnum figure.

I'd check that out before I bought a balanced flexplate.

here we go. acc boss hog convertors [ame]http://accperformance.com/Moparparts.pdf[/ame]

can order with or without weights. perfect. (all the ones on summit are non weighted. you have to call acc to order the weighted ones)

but do i want to rely on a oe flexplate??

You have to DEFINE the term "balanced."

360 LAs are externally balanced by the balancer and weighted torque converter, and THEY are different for a Magnum. My understanding was that the Magnums used a special flexplate as opposed to a weighted converter.

The first link you posted at rock auto is for an INTERNALLY balanced engine like a 318, OR an externally balanced 360LA WITH a weighted converter

The second link you posted, the Summit / BM, is an UNbalanced flex plate which allows the use of a 360 LA (in this case) with a neutral balance, unweighted torque converter.

The photo Summit posted is "representative", IE not correct. The BOTTOM of the three in the photo most closely resembles what you are ordering there, IE the cut out area takes the place of the torque converter weights. NOTICE that fits only a 904, not a 727

I am not sure about this, so, investigate further, but I believe the 360 L-A external balance amount imay be different from the 360 Magnum figure.

I'd check that out before I bought a balanced flexplate.

Bill..yes..the magnum uses less weight then the LA 360 in its externally balance.

His 360 came out of a 87 Ram..so it is a LA 360...

so i called acc boss hog and the weighted convertor that will work best for my car is 470 bucks. and it will use the stock flexplate. (4200 stall)

the other option is the bm plate and hughes convertor. about $310 (best, more tougher bet, but only 2000 :banghead: stall)

the lower stall boss hog is a more reasonable $325, 3200 stall but once again be using that stock plate, and wont be the high stall that i want (he said for such a light car, the stall drops from advertised stall) but, is looking to be my best option

Why would you want a 4200 rpm stall converter behind a budget used stock engine out of a PU truck? Look up what was stock stall for that application, and stick with it, otherwise you will have transmission heat problems, and poorer fuel economy with high stall unit. Now if you had some kind of lumpy high rpm cam, and a built engine, and deep rear gears to race with, than perhaps 4200 stall will work. Torque converters have to be designed to match engine build, cam, final gear ratio, and intended use of vehicle.

Just my 2 cents…

after reading that and thinking a bit i came up with this. 2200-2800 stall only 241, and i dont need a new plate

or.. the bm plate and hughes 2000 stall for 60 more

so basically its weather or not i wont to use that stock plate..

well the stock flexplates work...that's all I have to say about them...the b&m flexplat offers several advantages having been balanced just for a 360 engine you can take a chisel and knock the weights off the convertor and now you can install any small block in there, the b&m as was said is pretty muck made of tank armor and will not break as a stock one will. since you getting a new convertor might as well go for the unweighted one and the flexplate for the 360 and you have options for diffrent engines down the road

2000 stall is kinda wimpy? stock truck convertors are 2800
after reading that and thinking a bit i came up with this. 2200-2800 stall only 241, and i dont need a new plate

or.. the bm plate and hughes 2000 stall for 60 more

so basically its weather or not i wont to use that stock plate..

2000 is wimpy... prolly go with the boss hog and wait on a flexplate so ill end up with 2200 to 2800 stall

dam schools got me savin money!! haha

-
Back