Checking my trans fluid question

-

downsr

Reaction score
I have a 727 trans. I am checking the fluid with it warmed up and in neutral.If you pull out the stick it shows full on the front of the stick,but the backside of the stick has no fluid showing on it.Is this normal or do i need more fluid.

Take it out, wipe it off and put it in and back out pretty fast.
I think what you are seeing is fluid from the sides of the tube getting on the stick as it goes in. (so it sounds low)
I usually dip it three times before I'm happy with it being right.

I have did it both ways still looks the same.I am going to check it after sitting all night see if it looks different

Checking after sitting will show an overfull reading.
One thing to notice and think about is this.
If it doesn't show on both side of the stick it's low on fluid.

IDK
the stick enters the 727 pan at a pretty shallow angle, so I kindof agree with what TB is saying, especially with regard to the fluid having traveled up the pipe, and when you insert the stick, you are simply sliding it through the fluid that is stuck there. That's been happening to me for years too.
What I have done in the past is to bend the tip of the stick down, at something like 15 to 20 degrees,about 3 inches from the end. Then the bend slides down the tube,and the graduated portion enters the oil near vertical, and not touching the sides nor sliding through the oil. That has worked for me.It might take a couple of tries to get the bend just right.
I also agree with the other part of TBs post

-
Back