Chevy Truck Ignition Woes,...Key Cylinder or Switch?

-

jaimus

Old School ASE Gold
Reaction score
Got a 94 1500 chevy that a coworker asked me to look at,...Only startes intermittently in park,...not in neutral,...Move the column shifter down to L and up to Park a few times, and it might start,....got tilt as well. Owner says had a similar prob a couple of years ago, had a new cylinder put in,...any thoughts before I dive in? as always, thanks

Neutral safety switch?

While in park will it start if you hold the gear shift handle up with some force?

How many keys does he keep on his key ring? My father in law had an intermittent start issue on his truck and it turns out that the ignition switch was bad. The reason the switch went bad was that he had about thirty keys on his key ring and the extra weight wore out the switch.

I carry my ignition key only on one ring, and all others on a separate ring.

Yeah, I've got it down to the point where I have the car key and the house key on my ring, and I have a set like that for each vehicle. I do that for two reasons:
1. When I was in my teens an old timer back then told me the same thing you posted above about two many keys could damage the pins in the ignition switch.
2. I have no desire to walk around my whole life feeling like a janitor.
2a. Don't need the extra weight either in my pocket or on my belt loop.

Part of my solution to the key issue was to have the ignition switches and door and truck keys keyed alike. So the ignition will start either the 71 or the 72, and the door key will open all the doors on both and both trunks (the 71 has a locking glove box, and it's keyed to the door key also).

How many keys does he keep on his key ring? My father in law had an intermittent start issue on his truck and it turns out that the ignition switch was bad. The reason the switch went bad was that he had about thirty keys on his key ring and the extra weight wore out the switch.

I carry my ignition key only on one ring, and all others on a separate ring.

I've heard that for 35 years,...I've always carried a set of keys that resembles Snyder's from "One Day at a Time", and I've never had a prob,.but I've always had Chrysler's,...maybe Chivy's are just weaker cylinders. I'll know more tomorrow when he brings the truck up.

Neutral safety switch?

While in park will it start if you hold the gear shift handle up with some force?

I'll be checkin this as well...to see if Its actually in park,...if I recollect, I've seen ths before on pre 89 trucks...

Yeah, I've got it down to the point where I have the car key and the house key on my ring, and I have a set like that for each vehicle. I do that for two reasons:
1. When I was in my teens an old timer back then told me the same thing you posted above about two many keys could damage the pins in the ignition switch.
2. I have no desire to walk around my whole life feeling like a janitor.
2a. Don't need the extra weight either in my pocket or on my belt loop.

Part of my solution to the key issue was to have the ignition switches and door and truck keys keyed alike. So the ignition will start either the 71 or the 72, and the door key will open all the doors on both and both trunks (the 71 has a locking glove box, and it's keyed to the door key also).

Most all manufacture's have one key for door and ignition,(and some gloveboxes), and have since the 80's, ...I don't mind lookin the part of a blue collar worker, cause thats what I am,...after wearing tool belts,a pager, a buck knife and firegear my whole life, a set of keys is not even noticable.

Most all manufacture's have one key for door and ignition,(and some gloveboxes), and have since the 80's,
That's correct, My two swingers are a 71 and a 72. Both have an ignition key and a door key. So, what I did was to key both ignitions alike, and both sets of doors alike, so I only have one set of keys and it operates either car. :thumbup:

...I don't mind lookin the part of a blue collar worker, cause thats what I am,...after wearing tool belts,a pager, a buck knife and firegear my whole life, a set of keys is not even noticable.
Looking like one is fine, I just don't like feeling like one with 5 lbs of keys on my hip, or worse, in my pocket. I'm 62 years old now, I no longer wear my tools or my keys. lol
Hell most of the time I don't like the weight of my belt buckle! Lmao..

That's correct, My two swingers are a 71 and a 72. Both have an ignition key and a door key. So, what I did was to key both ignitions alike, and both sets of doors alike, so I only have one set of keys and it operates either car. :thumbup:

Looking like one is fine, I just don't like feeling like one with 5 lbs of keys on my hip, or worse, in my pocket. I'm 62 years old now, I no longer wear my tools or my keys. lol
Hell most of the time I don't like the weight of my belt buckle! Lmao..

Cool idea,...1 key,.multiple cars,...Great Idea. Like I said, keys don't bother me,(pretty soon It will be a heap of plastic fobs and cards), but keys and change in my pocket don't sit right,...I'm just 50, so I'll be carryin keys till I die, especially since I can't retire,...No big belt buckle, but my nuts hate It when I sit on em,...(thats a mid life crisis by the way)...

Sounds like the shifter is outta adjustment.

I'm almost certain the ignition switch in that chevy is mounted on top of the column about half way down. Very common falure. Not sure what year they may have changed.
If this is correct you'll need to tape the linkage rod to the column before removing the switch. Otherwise the linkage can drop out of its upper position.

Where the ignition switch and lock cylinder are closely assembled ( like our dash mounted switches ) a lot of keys might damage the switch eventually. Not a factor where the electrical switch is remotely operated by linkage coming from the lock cylinder.

-
Back