Choice of oil

-
Lots of factors missing. Flat tappet or roller cam? Street or strip? Both? what's your climate like?

You should post this here.

Lots of factors missing. Flat tappet or roller cam? Street or strip? Both? what's your climate like?
Sorry I DID leave out some very pertinent information
mechanical cam. Stroker 440 now
526 cid, 10.8:1 compression, .565 lift
6 quart
Los Angeles area
What about oil with zinc? Conventional oil
A straight weight? 30 or 40?
Thanks for your quick response
Shutudown

I like running an oil with Zinc already in the mix, although here lately, I've switched over to Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w20 and self mixed a ZDDP additive. I did that because of the lower viscosity. It's been proven to get the oil to the engine sooner on cold startup and (although splitting hairs) takes less HP from the engine with the lighter viscosity. But, be advised of two things. First, if you decide to use a ZDDP attitive be very attentive to the label. There are some out there......stupid as this sounds that have NO zinc OR phosphorous in them at all. This is the additive I use. I mix it in a bucket with the oil and then dump it in. The second thing to be advised of is, everyone will have a different opinion here. All your engine really cares about is the oil pan being full of something that will WORK.
ZDDP Additive

I only use conventional oil (non synthetic) 10W30 and add a bottle of zinc additive. Prime the engine prior to firing it up. 65'

IMHO

The viscosity will be dependent on the bearing clearances you set in your engine.

Tight and a lower viscosity will work great, loose and your pressure at idle and hot will be close to nothing.

My 150,000 on its last rebuild 273, if I use 30w (per the FSM) it will trip the oil pressure switch, 40w no problem.

I use Lucas hotrod oil in 10w30. Mai ly because the Napa right across the street stocks it for me. Plenty of other oils for old school motors with zinc out there if you have a brand preference.

6 quart
Los Angeles area
Shutudown
Vr1 10-30 will do you just fine unless your clearance are looser 20-50.
You want to run a oil with zinc.
I run 10-30 vr1 in my 470, 12.8:1 mechanical flat tappet .670 lift with edm lifters & a 8 qt milodon oiling system

6 quart
Los Angeles area
Shutudown
Is your mechanical cam a roller or flat ?

If you want there's a good YouTube video about oil testing from lake speed Jr total seal rings

IMHO

The viscosity will be dependent on the bearing clearances you set in your engine.

Tight and a lower viscosity will work great, loose and your pressure at idle and hot will be close to nothing.

My 150,000 on its last rebuild 273, if I use 30w (per the FSM) it will trip the oil pressure switch, 40w no problem.

Clearance set to factory specs
Los area climate
I’m thinking 30w or 40w conventional with zinc
Sounds good?
Shutudown

Clearance set to factory specs
Los area climate
I’m thinking 30w or 40w conventional with zinc
Sounds good?
Shutudown
Stick with the multi viscosity. Also, I see no reason whatsoever for the 40w.

I would second the VR-1 20w50, unless your pressure is too high cold.
Personally, I run whatever I find in my garage. Currently running a mix of 10W40 diesel oil, with some old 50wt racing oil, added, for some zinc in the old racing oil.....and to use some of it up. I have a couple cases

set to factory specs
From 67 FSM page 0-12

Screenshot_20231015-181926.png

Save the light weight oil for your old lady's sewing machine.
15w/40 or 20w/50 for summertime temps. anything above 60 degs.

Every engine craves something different pending use and bearing clearances. My 383 Bee and 383 Forumula S run 10W30, 340 Dart and '64 dodge 440 run 10W40, Superbird and HP2 20W50
oilpenngrade 002.JPG

I just talked to my engine builder
Valvoline vr-1 convential straight 30w
For break-in
Then change over to same brand multi-weight 20-50w full synthetic

-
Back