Choosing A Torque Converter

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
I'M PUTTING TOGETHER A 360/727 PERFORMANCE 70 DUSTER. I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TORQUE CONVERTER I SHOULD USE FOR A HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET MACHINE APPLICATION. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED. :help:

The fun begins. Its like choosing a carb, everyone will have their opinion on what is best but you wont really know what works best for you till you try one (or four) out.

I just went through the whole process with my 360/727 and ended up with a Dynamic 9.5" Race/Street converter. (http://dynamicconverters.com/converters.htm) I ended up with this one after talking to a couple of custom converter builders and they told me what parts and companies to kind of steer clear from.
For a 28" tall tire, 4.10 (maybe 373) gears, 3200lb car, 509 lift cam, shifting at 6k rpm, and seeing both street and race use, this was the one that the guys at Dynamic matched best for me AND matched up with the specs I heard of from the custom guys.

A few notes I can remember:
Stay away from converters that use thrust washers or rebuild it every year or two.
No matter what you can drop atleast 200 rpm from the listed stall as to what it will actually do.
Hughes is OK for a 3000 stall, B&M too, but not for higher stalling.
It is a pay for what you get type deal and I prefer reliable long lasting parts.

Lots of variables come into play when choosing a converter. You need to choose one that will get you into your power band for optimum performance. That is mainly determined by the cam.
Basically just as Sefus said stay away from the cheaper torque converters. As the old saying goes "You gets what you pays for". You may save a dollar now but you'll pay later. I also recommend talking to Dynamic and see what they say. They're the torque converter experts and can answer your questions best. Click on the link Sefus provided and check it out. LOL.:thumblef:

-
Back