Christmas Traditions (FOOD)

-
I am starting a new tradition this year. I am making "crock pot candy" and giving it to my daughters on Christmas eve. I am sure to be very popular when they try to take the weight off after eating these.

Jack

CHOCOLATES.JPG

Lasagna for dinner here a serving weighs a pound! Wife's tradition usually. Takes two days to make it all from scratch!

I make a big chowder lobster and bar clams and lots of it . if I had to buy the seafood it would be well over 100 bucks everything in it is caught or grown by us except the cream and butter .

First, days of cookies. Christmas will be Manicotti with a ton of meatballs for my Italian side, and baked ham and a turkey from the wife's Irish side. The side dishes are crazy, don't know how the women do it. We're 20 plus people so the food is fast and furious. My sister in law is a great cook, her gravy you want to drink. She has a beautiful room that is windowed on three sides and sets up a large table on saw horses that seats all. Decorates it really nice every year. Tradition is a special part of life. I need to get some pictures.

Christmas Eve has a pot of ham and beans going. Small limas, cooked off slow with smoked ham hocks and some onions. Finished off in the bowl with a bit of tarragon vinegar, and fresh skillet-baked corn bread with honey-butter. I'm getting the slobbers just thinking about it.

We grew up fairly "poor middle class". Only reason we did so good is we had nearby Grandparents, one had a huge garden, Mom and Dad had a fair sized garden, and other grandparents had fruit trees. We also normally had a beef on the hoof and at least one cow

For years and years, Mom's folks had chickens, and for a few years grew rabbits. Yep........we ate em!!!

But we ate well. Christmas was traditionally Mom's folks at "eve" and Dad's on Christmas Day. Various. Turkey, ham, roast beef, sometimes ???deep fried oysters?? (We're from the N end of Idaho ya know)

And ALWAYS "other stuff" fudge, cookies, pie, ice cream. HOME MADE all of it, except "some of" the ice cream.

Dad and one of my uncle's by marriage always had a little "battle." Uncle Bob DID NOT like gravy, ANY kind of gravy. HAD to have butter on his spuds. Dad would always "act innocent" and hand Bob the gravy. "Here Bob have some of this gravy. MAN!!! It looks GOOD!!"

And Bob would always defer to his butter, much to Dad's annoyance "Shame to waste ALL THAT GOOD GRAVY.

Hell I didn't care!!! I'll eat Uncle Bob's share!!!!

Never had a dinner tradition.

Sarah and I had breakfast tradition in puffy cheese bake.

The Karli and I started doing different types of omelettes.

The wife and kids INSIST on biscuits and gravy every Christmas after the presents have been opened. After a couple of shots of Bailey's in my coffee I'm glad to oblige. They have their traditions and I have mine!

I started a family food tradition, by leaving Santa cookies and a beer, while saying " If you leave Santa cookies and beer, he will be at your house first next year". I would just have the beer after spending 3-4 hours assembling all the crap while the kids were asleep.Now my son does the same with his family.

Tamalies definitely tamalies
You beat me to it. Yes a SE Tx. thing here too. We bought a doz other day from a "vendor" that had make them for REAL Mexicans!! They were loaded with real red pepper flakes. Granny made them I guess! HOT Tameles!
We are making Gumbo and fried cornbread for Christmas da! and a few pies. Prety cloe to real Coon *** stuff with shrimp oysters, sausage, chicken. It would be real GUMBO ,,, IF it also had possum, coon, and other aquatic creatures in it too.

You beat me to it. Yes a SE Tx. thing here too. We bought a doz other day from a "vendor" that had make them for REAL Mexicans!! They were loaded with real red pepper flakes. Granny made them I guess! HOT Tameles!
We are making Gumbo and fried cornbread for Christmas da! and a few pies. Prety cloe to real Coon *** stuff with shrimp oysters, sausage, chicken. It would be real GUMBO ,,, IF it also had possum, coon, and other aquatic creatures in it too.
The first Gumbo I had was from a Cajun friend of mine who had made some at home. He offered me a bowl and I asked him, "What's in it". He said, "Don't worry about that, I put in it whatever is available so it's always different anyway". So I took the bowl and spooned up a mouthful. As I chewed on the big first bite I noticed that there was something strange about the food that was in my mouth. I spit out this fairly large plastic thing that looked like a "feather" but it was clear. I yelled out, " What the hell is that!!!". My friend says, "Oh, that's just the plastic like membrane that squids have in their bodies, it's not edible". Me being the brave soul that I am, I said to myself, "Oh, what the hell!!", and proceeded to finish the whole bowl. It was very good but I have no idea what type of creatures ended up in my stomach that day. MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!!:eek:

Gumbo is great.

My wife makes this breakfast casserole on Christmas morning. It uses pillsbury biscuits, pre cooked hormel black label bacon, cheese, and scrambled eggs. She layers everything up in a pyrex casserole dish uncooked except for the precooked bacon, then puts it in the oven to bake it. Everything cooks up and sticks together. Then she cuts it in squares and serves. Sorry, no pix, but its easy to make, and pretty tasty.

Gumbo is great.

My wife makes this breakfast casserole on Christmas morning. It uses pillsbury biscuits, pre cooked hormel black label bacon, cheese, and scrambled eggs. She layers everything up in a pyrex casserole dish uncooked except for the precooked bacon, then puts it in the oven to bake it. Everything cooks up and sticks together. Then she cuts it in squares and serves. Sorry, no pix, but its pretty tasty.
My wife does something similar. Toasted hash browns on the bottom of the pan, then scrambled raw eggs on top of the hash browns, then bacon, sausage and grated cheese. It all goes into the oven until the eggs are cooked. It's kind of like a breakfast pie???

Ask her to try it with pillsbury flaky biscuits in there. It adds something to it. We dont do the ground sausage here. Nobody will eat it. I may ask my wife to make some white gravy to pour over the top of it this year.

Ask her to try it with pillsbury flaky biscuits in there. It adds something to it. We dont do the ground sausage here. Nobody will eat it. I may ask my wife to make some white gravy to pour over the top of it this year.
Will do!! Thanks

It was always turkey and all the trimmings when my folks were still around. But it seems no one else has picked up the tradition since then.

New years dinner was always pork chops and sauerkraut.

Wow that reminded me of what we used to do for new years. My grandparents used to cater in chinese food from a place called Lee's Hawaiian Islander in Clifton. We all piled into the finished basement. All the kids wanted to sit behind the bar and play bartender. Both of my grandparents passed years ago, and Lee's burned down about 10-15 years ago. Was good food there though. Thanks for jogging my memory. It was a good one, and brought a smile.

Just researched it now, apparently after Lees burned down they moved to Lyndhurst N.J. still around. Thats cool. I need to go there sometime when i go visit my folks.

pickled herring, dilled boiled potatoes, meatballs, lingon, sausage, scalloped potatoes with ham, cheeses, knackebrod, salads, cookies and other desserts, aquavit (not necessarily in that order, lol.)

Christmas now officially sucks.

No amount of good food can make up for the headaches, driving, being around in laws, shopping in a sea of the sick, the retarded, the selfish, the stinky....

Jesus would even dislike what Christmas is anymore. What was it, Macy's that started this materialistic tradition?

My fav is oyster dressing and homemade chicken noodles.

-
Back