Chrome bumpers again?

-

danielb927

Reaction score
I think I've decided to go back to chrome bumpers. The orange ones look alright, but the paint is chipping off and I can see that it is chrome under the paint, not even primer. So, is there any chemical I can use to safely get that paint off and get down to the chrome? My only concern is that perhaps the chrome is not so good and that's why it was painted over. If so I will be looking for ways to clean it up and make it look nice! Don't really want to spend the cash for new bumpers if I don't have to.

Get some of the Saftey-Kleen paint stripper from the home repot, you want the x-tra strength one. Then just follow directions on the can. If they were painted they may have sanded some areas down for the paint to stick. Either way good luck with it.

Im not the best guy to get advice from, I remember when I was stripping the paint off my car, I was using the almighty, famous "Aircraft Remover"! And when it dripped on my bumpers, I was worried, but didnt see any visible damage. I even let it sit for a minute or two. Now just because I said that, don't go running to get the brush and stripper, make for sure you check it out on google to be absolutely for sure it wont ruin the chrome. And if it won't harm it, You could get the paint off in 30+ minutes.

And I wish I could tell you a good way to clean up the bumpers, but I have had no luck so far on mine. My rear bumper has a bunch of pitted spots from light rust that i can't get out. >.<

When most of it is gone use an sos pad I use them on my 22"s and it won't scratch but it will clean them nicely.

It looks like I might have some of that rust pitting. But, somewhere else on this site I saw the chrome spray that wasn't spray paint but metal flake spray that I might try! My attitude is basically that I want chrome bumpers which I was expecting to have to by, so I'll try whatever on these and if it doesn't work then just buy the new ones anyways. Looks like they are not too terribly hard to find.

I used razor blades for the most part, and acetone on a rag for the trim. I had the same issue as you; paint chipping off and looking like crap. Here's some before+after pics.

IMG_0204 (Small).JPG

IMG_0488 (Small).JPG

-
Back