chrome paint in a can

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
ok so i tried chrome in a can on my back bumper for those who are curious..

now before you say somethin bad haha my bumper lost its chrome a long time ago and needed a tune up without spendin 400 bucks

came out really good 4 medium coats and in somespots i can see my hand...

sanding is very crucial in shine the spots that were really shiny were the smoothest

came out good for 15 bucks but buy the good stuff :burnout:

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,007
Wow, it doesn't look all that bad for the chrome paint. I've never had much luck with it myself. Sure beats a rusty bumper.

not sure... however once you prime it your paintin the primer though so shouldnt be that big of a deal.

sanding is a big part in how this turns out

Looks good, how many cans did you use? I have a few bumperetts that could use a make over.

ive done a little homework and i have seen examples of different chrome spray paints and the base coats they were using, and the best process i have seen is using a gloss black base coat with chrome shot directly over it. did you do this? or is it straight out of the can ? or what did you use for a base? honestly, that looks pretty damn good for rattle can

sprayed right on primer haha

and one can 4 medium coats and still a lot left in the can pretty good for 10 buck makeover

however now the test is durability but i cant see it being different from other can paint

Can it be used on plastic? Maybe for dash bezels?

I used “Chrome” paint on dash trim of my 67 Dart. It looks clean, but not quite like chrome. A clean look sends the observer’s eye to some other imperfection. I have never had someone at a show ask; hey did you paint the chrome on the dash? They will point out a few bubbles over the wheel well…

One step you can do to preserve the freshly painted look of your bumper is to give it a few coats of clear. My experience with these chrome or aluminum colors is that they don’t hold up well to any abrasion from washing and waxing over time. Sealing color coat with clear coat produces a more durable finish, and a deeper, shinier, look.

i used it on my plastic taillight trim here... they wanted 350+ shipping to rechrome these plastic housings! the pic isnt the greatest but you get the idea

Attachments

• a228.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 866
Looks to me like good results for what it is !!! Nice job !! X2 on the clear over coat !! Don't know if it works,never tried,but I can't imagine it would hurt !! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

What kind of dupli-color though?

I see a ton of different silvers (no chrome though)

Watch out clearing the chrome paint in some cases the clear will soften the layer of paint it is covering, I would test the chrome paint and clear on something first !!!!!!

thanks for the clear tip and it says chrome right on the can.. maybe look around at different places i only seen it at one place in my town

We used to call that "Mexican Chrome" when I lived in SoCal...looks good from here...

I use Killerchrome from ALSA. $40 a kit. There is a thread somewhere here. Here is a shot of some fiberglass bumpers and my dash bezel,

Attachments

• chrome.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 769
  • DSCN1794.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 765
update..

been a couple months and its holding up well. just dont touch it with your finger lol. leaves a nice mark that doesnt come off

i would recommend clear coating anything you spray chrome other wise still shins

........i would recommend clear coating anything you spray chrome other wise still shins

I wouldn't clear the Duplicolor or any other "Chrome" paint. It will turn gray immediatly! The Killerchrome is a laquer based product. The website has video of the process.

They also have a new chrome vinyl wrap that is pretty easy to use. Cut it, stick it and shrink it with a heat gun.

Just google "ALSA"

That stretch chrome shrink wrap would be cool on some headlight bezels! Maybe Ill try it on some straight '65 Barracuda cores I have....

I use Killerchrome from ALSA. $40 a kit. There is a thread somewhere here. Here is a shot of some fiberglass bumpers and my dash bezel,

Look's great, looking for same thing on drag car fiberglass bumpers, I'll give that a try :thumblef:

-
Back