Chrysler Turbine Car, any info of, Please!

-
The LA county museum has one with a dummy motor in it.

Jay Leno drives his around. We saw it 2 weeks ago at Spring Fling. He came by Fall Fling in it and last years Spring Fling.

Attachments

• SF11SunSWallSm042.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 144
  • SF11SunSWallSm043.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 135
The LA county museum has one with a dummy motor in it.

Jay Leno drives his around. We saw it 2 weeks ago at Spring Fling. He came by Fall Fling in it and last years Spring Fling.

Way Cool!!!
I live in the wrong area of the country for my interests.

Thanks to our member,
70LIME349DUSTER
He had put up a link to this vid on another thread and it lead to a treasure trove of videos!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IF0VbUb_Ug&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Chrysler Turbine Car[/ame]

Cool!
Thanks for letting me borrow!:thumblef:
John

I was selling cars at a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership when the turbine cars were being tested by the public. The owner was invited to an event held by Chrysler that was intended to elicit the dealer's opinion of the car. He liked the styling, but wasn't overly enthused by the performance lag at low speeds.

I have heard a guy somewhere in Seattle has one from the test period that he never gave back. Don't know if its true or not

Oh the humanity!! That video of those beautiful cars being crushed makes my stomach turn. What a shame to have those awesome cars just reduced to scrap metal.

Chrysler had Turbine trucks too. If anyone has one of the booklets on them that can scan it, please contact me? I would love to add that info to the HH Library.

Barry

I feel that if chrysler would have made these cars on a large mass produced scale,they would have been something of a great equalizer to the gas companies. Being able to run on anything I feel that enough of these cars on the road would have helped prevent the gas companies playing the games they are currently playing. Speculation would have made no difference as would fuel quality.It's too bad really.Those cars had huge potential to greatly lower the average mans daily transportation cost due to thier almost non existant maintenance. Definitely a bad idea from a car companies perspective as they would not sell parts for it. Im sure the problems would have been sorted out and the lag beaten.

Chrysler should hang it's head in shame for giving up on them.

As a kid I remember seeing one of the test cars in our local SoCal mountains (Blue Jay area) back during the public test time. It was just parked alongside the road. I made my parents turn around so I could go back and walk around it. They didn't have any interest in it but I just stood there and drooled.
I also remember seeing the one in the Museum of Science and Industry in LA as previously posted.
I've missed Leno's cars at the recent Flings. Maybe he'll bring it back to Fall fling in October.
Beautiful cars.

-
Back