classic auto air system for a bodies

-

kbduster

Reaction score
Anyone here have one of these? I ran in to some issues with the control cable that goes to the box.....Like to see if anyone else had a problem with this

I had a few issues also, in all fairness to the company I never contacted them, as it took me almost 6 months to finally get it installed. My cable was way too short and it makes it very hard to move the control. My compressor to condenser hose is too short also, so I will have to get a new one made. The fitting on the compressor to evaporator hose points directly to the air cleaner so this will have to be changed also. Lots of little things that made this a far from bolt on affair. Good fab skills and lots of patience will result in a pretty nice package.

I understand that there are 2 vendors for aftermarket a/c , I believe the other
is (Vintage Air ?). Seems that I read a post here a while back that recommended one over the other because of these details and the type
of compressor used.

Those of you thinking about installing one may want to do a search on the subject.

Anyone else try any of these, wouldn't mind getting one but don't want any hassles, i've got a 68 dart with factory air

I'm puting one in my 68 Barracuda. My control cable is a little to short, the temp cable will reach the radiator so its way to long. Now come to find out the part that all the hoses for the under dash vents conect to want to share the same space with the radio. I need to call them in the AM and see if they can give me some ideas.

ac4.JPG

I have Classic Auto Air. Mine was virtually pretty easy but I had help from a guy that had installed one before. Everything lined up as they said it would, from heater box, control cables and glovebox insert.

DSC00123 (Small).JPG

DSC00068 (Small).JPG

Hi kbduster,
There is another company; "Hot Rod Air" that is a big player in the aftermarket A/C market. Their web site is
www.hotrodair.com They will send you a free catalog. Need a bracket, check with "Bouchillon Performance" at this web site: www.bouchillonperformance.com. They mfg Sanden type A/C brackets and pulleys. I hope to use one of their "low mount" under the alternator compressor bkts
for my 440. Maybe this info will help.

John

Just read an article yesterday on www.slantsix.org on installation of a vintage air system on an early A. Some of the same problems as on the classic.

-
Back