classic insurance help needed

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Hey guys...

so the duster is finally nearing completion (not that they are ever really done) lol. And I need to start thinking about what I need to get taken care of to get it on the road.

I know I want agreed value insurance because if anything ever happened to it i want to know I am going to get back out of it what I have invested and I want it to be covered for what its worth.

Ive did a "little" looking around and so far it looks like maybe hagerty has the best to offer and is the least complicated.

I did rough quotes for around 15k agreed value and im looking at about 700ish a year around 50 something a month. Which sounds pretty good.

here is the thing......I have not had insurance in my name in quite some time, so i am not exactly aware of what all I need to make sure of . I am also not sure how the agreed value system works (they cant just take your word for it?.......do they need to have the car appraised before agreeing on value?, do I need to show them full financial documentation of whats invested in the car?,do i need to send them detailed pictures?,or do they pretty much base the value off of something like what nadaguides suggests the value as?.

also, I don't want to insure the car to be a garage queen.....im not going to put 15K miles a year on it or anything....but i would like to enjoy it...maybe 2000 miles a year. So I am not sure if that would mean I have to get standard plates? or if I need historical/classic car plates?.

basically looking for the ins and outs on the subject,tips,what some of you had to go through when going through this process for your cars.

by the way....not sure what it makes a difference ....but i am 25,no accidents or violations,no speeding tickets in about 5 years and even then was at most like 5 mph over. The duster has been restored and is about complete (odds and ends that wont take very long to finish up). there is easily around 10k invested in the car for materials....not to mention labor costs and a few other odds and ends. I would assume 15k is a fair value to want to have agreed upon.

also, what if for example.....down the road I installed a few other new parts that increased the value....could i simply contact the insurance and have the policy adjusted to raise the agreed upon value?....or how does that work.

what are some of your agreed upon values for your mopars? .....more specifically a nicley done 72 duster with some goodies.

sorry if some of these questions are dumb guys...bare with me. If any of you can help I would appreciate it. also feel free to PM me any info if you would like. Thank you.

Call JC Taylor. That's who I have used since 1993. Thank God, no claims, but I currently have two cars 1968 Road Runner and 1975 Scamp on my policy and I pay $275 a year. Both have very nice agreed values.

Get an Antique plate on your car. If you are only going to drive 2000 miles a year! I have an Antique plate on the RR and a classic plate on the Scamp.

All this doesn't mean much if you don't have a daily driver car that you can show you use for daily transportation.

If the Duster is your only car, and no other policy, you may have a problem.

Call JC Taylor. That's who I have used since 1993. Thank God, no claims, but I currently have two cars 1968 Road Runner and 1975 Scamp on my policy and I pay $275 a year. Both have very nice agreed values.

Get an Antique plate on your car. If you are only going to drive 2000 miles a year! I have an Antique plate on the RR and a classic plate on the Scamp.

All this doesn't mean much if you don't have a daily driver car that you can show you use for daily transportation.

If the Duster is your only car, and no other policy, you may have a problem.

I use State Farm and it costs me under $50.00 for six months with and $8500 agreed value with an additional $500 parts rider.

What roadrunnerh said in bold is the way it is here. You will automaticaly go in to high risk if you can't prove you have been insured by some company.

State Farm will not issue a antique policy if you don't have your daily driver insured with them.

Oklahoma took away our antique plates... GRRRR....

Hey guys...
rth.

Ive did a "little" looking around and so far it looks like maybe hagerty has the best to offer and is the least complicated.

I did rough quotes for around 15k agreed value and im looking at about 700ish a year around 50 something a month. Which sounds pretty good.

here is the thing......I have not had insurance in my name in quite some time, so i am not exactly aware of what all I need to make sure of . I am also not sure how the agreed value system works (they cant just take your word for it?.......do they need to have the car appraised before agreeing on value?, do I need to show them full financial documentation of whats invested in the car?,do i need to send them detailed pictures?,or do they pretty much base the value off of something like what nadaguides suggests thng to .

WHoa! That sounds high! I have a $20000 agreed value on my Barracuda and it is only $180 a YEAR. You may want to check back with them on that. Maybe it is because I'm in my 40s with a clean driving record, but your $700ish a year sounds way to high.

Talked with the representative about values. They have guides that provide them low to high value and based on your description, they are allowed to go to a certain level.

Good luck and check your Hagerty quote again.
Rob

I have my Barracuda insured for 29,500. I pay $280.00 a year with JC Taylor.

Whoa, your insurance sound way cheaper guys!.

I have had insurance over the years but through my father because he always got cheaper rates.

And yes I have a daily driver so the duster is not a main source of transpo.

I was under the impression with classic/antique etc...etc... Plates that you were only permitted to drive to and from car shows/events or 1 weekend a month or some stipulations along those lines.

I would love to only have to pay around what you guys mentioned you pay!. I was under the impression that the online quote I got from hagerty was about average being that it's for agreed value.

I don't know what I'm missing. Any and all input on this is appreciated. I want to get all of my ducks in a row as to what to and not to do before I dig any deeper into getting any more quotes.

Thanks guys

Did a quick quote through jc Taylor's website and it gave me an estimate of $176.00 a year through the antique insurance or $346.00 a year through the modified insurance. Both with $20,000.00 agreed value.

Not sure what the difference between the antique and modified are and which applies to my car. Or as to what steps I'd have to take to move forward with actually getting insurance through them if I decided to do so and as to how accurate the quote would be compared to what it would actually cost.

The quote system they use was kind of basic, didn't ask for age or other vehicles owned etc...etc.... Just basic personal and vehicle info.

Also right on the website it says insured for local events,car shows,parades.....things of that nature. Does that mean I couldn't just go cruising? I don't want to be bound to events only.

I have $15000 on the 66' Barracuda and $9000 on the 71' Scamp (guaranteed value) and I paid around $300/yr (can't remember if it was more or less).

The problem with Hagerty is that you're limited on how much/often you can drive the vehicle. Mine limits me to parades, car shows, club events, etc. I just figure that wherever I am is a club event and drive it.

Too many factors are calculated into the total premium for a comparison with other drivers. The dollar value of the vehicle doesn't make nearly as much difference as all those other factors do. Good luck

may want to get a quote from Grundy. They were the best deal when I started insuring mine and have been satisfied with them.

Too many factors are calculated into the total premium for a comparison with other drivers. The dollar value of the vehicle doesn't make nearly as much difference as all those other factors do. Good luck

My experience, that is not true. Dollar value is what significantly increased my premium.

OP - Yes, you can cruise your car. You just can't use it for daily transportation or exceed something like 2k mi a year.

I have my regular car insurance through American Family, and they also insure my restored (also with a few goodies) 1965 Barracuda Formula S for around $110 per year, stated value of $13,500. I am limited to 2500 miles per year, with no restrictions on where or when the car can be driven. They are assuming it will be primarily for cruising, car shows, parades, etc. I have no claims either but I assume the normal claim process would be followed. I did break down once and they paid the bill to have the car brought to my garage on a flatbed tow truck, so I got my money's worth right there!

collector insurance is still something I need to look into for the buggy

When I was building my Duster I used Hagerty. They offered me insurance from the time the car was apart to the time it got on the road. I sent them pictures of the car on the Rotisserie and they still insured without question.

I would've stayed with them but my insurance agent had me switch to JC Taylor since he is an agent for them.

But, I have not had a claim with either company and I hope I don't!

Hagerty for me is the best deal. Some of you guys get your insurance cheaper because you don't live in Michigan. We have to pay an extra premium for the MCCF no matter who we go through. Mine is 285.00 a year but 150.00 of that is the MCCF. I looked into Grundy and they told me I could NOT just jump in my car and go for a "cruise", I had to be attending a car show, parade or some kind of event, Hagerty did not tell me that. Also in Michigan if you have antique plates you can't just go out cruising around, you have to be attending some kind of event, I got that straight from the SOS. You can be ticketed for just riding around if the cop wants to be a PITA.

Whatever you do make sure your insurance is "agreed" value and not "stated" value, BIG difference.

Also I don't think Hagerty does monthly payments, they never have to my knowledge, it has to be paid up front.

I would call Hagerty and talk to them and get the straight poop.

My experience, that is not true. Dollar value is what significantly increased my premium.

OP - Yes, you can cruise your car. You just can't use it for daily transportation or exceed something like 2k mi a year.

I see your local to me. I wanted to do classic plates on my 71 Valiant. Are they hard to get? I also wanted to switch as you did to a different insurance with it, after I had the plate. It is only going to get approx. 100 miles a month put on it, if even that.

Get an Antique plate on your car. If you are only going to drive 2000 miles a year!

In Michigan you can't just go out and "cruise" on an antique plate, you can be ticketed by law enforcement, believe me I checked as it would save a nice chunk of change on my insurance. The reason it is a big savings is because you can only use your car for events, parades etc.

With that said I don't know how many, if any, people that have been ticketed for doing so. When you contact the SOS and Hagerty they both tell you the same thing.

Around $225 a year for $12k on my Duster with Grundy. No limits on driving other than no commuting.

if u dont have another car as aaily driver you wont qualify

I have State Farm on my Road Runner.They just took pics and we agreed on $28K.I pay $25.00 a month.But you need a daily driver to be insured as well.

jim

I have Hagerty for $6,000 agreed value. They Charge me $149/year. They are linked to My Allstate Policy and very pleasant to deal with. I really like my Agent so I just went with her suggestion of Hagerty. Call a few of the suggestions and go with the One you like the best.

-
Back