Clean air package help

-

Takoctopus

Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda with a clean air package. There is a whole mess of lines behind my carb and a few odds and ends. The green plastic valve is all i see in my service manual. All this extra stuff seems odd. Is there a block diagram some place that shows exactly what needs to be hooked up. The picture in my shop manual isn't very clear. Here is a picture of the mess. Thanks

emmions .jpg

What's there "in addition" may be aftermarket/ added. In the early '70's CA had all kinds of stupid stuff they were requiring for earlier cars. Friend of mine had a 64 Chev. CA required him to add a kit which was basically a thermo vacuum valve. It blocked vacuum advance until the poor thing overheated, then turned on vacuum to cool off the engine!!! In addition, you had to have a shop set the idle mixture very lean, and glue some lime-green silicone and covers over the tops of the idle screws....just like OEM. And, you had to retart the hell out of the timing.

What would be on the car OEM would be CA only, and should be in the service manual and or the ^^above^^ listed bulletin

Some stuff from All Par

CAP/CAS Distributor Vacuum Advance Control Valve

Check this out

1967 Chrysler Imperial CAP System from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 241

Last edited:
What's there "in addition" may be aftermarket/ added. In the early '70's CA had all kinds of stupid stuff they were requiring for earlier cars. Friend of mine had a 64 Chev. CA required him to add a kit which was basically a thermo vacuum valve. It blocked vacuum advance until the poor thing overheated, then turned on vacuum to cool off the engine!!! In addition, you had to have a shop set the idle mixture very lean, and glue some lime-green silicone and covers over the tops of the idle screws....just like OEM. And, you had to retart the hell out of the timing.
72 Canadian Nova; No vacuum advance until hi gear! And a timer on that too.

Good info by SSD. It appears CAP wasn't standard on CA cars until 1966. I have two 1965 Mopar's (one I am quite sure was sold in CA) and neither has any of those parts, just the normal PCV system. I understand that only Chrysler met CA emissions standards for state vehicles, which is why Gov. "moon-beam" Jerry Brown famously drove a 1974 Plymouth state car while dating Lynda Ronstadt.
Jerry Brown Plymouth.jpeg

Yep, the CAP test program was on '63 cars, but it was rolled out on '66 California cars. Previous California steps were '61 (mandatory PCV, spread to New York in '62 and 50-state/Canada in '63) and '64 (mandatory closed crankcase ventilation, that is the breather cap ducted to the air cleaner rather than just open to the atmosphere -- spread to 50-state/Canada cars for '68).

-
Back