Clean & Prep grinder discs for paint / rust removal

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using for paint and rusty removal prior to doing metal work / body work. I keep seeing clean and prep discs on a grinder? Is that best or something else?

I know some use paper on a dual action sander and others use something on a 3" grinder.... what are you using and how is it working out for you?

Roloc works well, BUT, don't go crazy biting into the base metal. They can and will leave some pretty aggressive scratches in the metal.

The bristle removers work nice too.

Call these guys. I've bought supplies from them and they are good people, good service.
http://www.roarksupply.com/Coating-Removal-s/354.htm

Thanks... I look into them. I'm going to swing by the local body shop supply house as well.

Hi Guys, its Tom @ Roark Supply.

The black colored paint strippers work well. The 3M Bristle discs work for paint stripping.....but.... I have a couple high end hot rod shops who used them on door jambs and went back to the paint strippers. Their reason was the bristle disc material left a thin residue and they said the paint wouldn't lay down the same as the rest of the paint. These guys are really into paint though, so just use your judgement.

The bristle discs are more common for Gasket Removal on alum heads/pans, etc. They leave the mating surfaces intact....

-
Back