Clean way to mount clutch m/c up high.

-

Demon72Jody

Reaction score
If anybody is interested I've created a simple way to mount a Willwood clutch m/c to brake booster..It involves no cutting or mods. All you have to do is drill hole in firewall for pushrod and drill hole in pedal to hook up..This allows you to run a hydraulic clutch with reservoir between inner fender and booster..

I'll get pics. this evening, I'm also doing a t-5 swap out of a mustang with s-10 shifter..I'm planning on sharing entire swap since it seems to be popular..

I'm curious on this as well, though I don't have a booster. Just put a T56 in my car and mounted the MC up high next to the brake MC. Flatened out the firewall and made a backing plate that mounts to the pedal box (thanks to 72BBSwinger for the design). Have some issues with my brake plumbing though since I have an older brake MC that's bigger than what 72BBSwinger had.

I'm curious on this as well, though I don't have a booster. Just put a T56 in my car and mounted the MC up high next to the brake MC. Flatened out the firewall and made a backing plate that mounts to the pedal box (thanks to 72BBSwinger for the design). Have some issues with my brake plumbing though since I have an older brake MC that's bigger than what 72BBSwinger had.
Here it is again, simple yet robust since there is some force there the firewall wasnt originally designed for.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 252
but why that high since there is already a hole below where originally the z-bar is going thru. ou only need an angled adapter. I used one from a Dakota...just mount the reservois that high... At least I did it that way. Btw no drilling. Holes and threaded holes are already there....

Just showing how I did it. Never said it was the only way. I like my pedal ratio with it this way because it FEELS like a mechanical clutch.

That is a good alternative and I considered it. I didn't think I could fit a cylinder down there though. Also the ratio decreases as the pedal is pushed which I was worried about for reliability sake. If it works it works.

Just showing how I did it. Never said it was the only way. I like my pedal ratio with it this way because it FEELS like a mechanical clutch.

I can second that one to some degree. Was expecting the effort to lighten up a little from my junkyard mechanical linkage (done before I got the car), but it's still a pretty heavy pedal. May have more to do with the pressure plate at this point, though I didn't think it was supposed to be much stiffer than "stock" based on the clutch kit I bought. Oh well, just keeps the sissys out of my car, lol. I've always joked that I pick/make cars hard to drive so no one will ask me if they can drive them. Don't have to worry about anyone taking it then :iconbigg:.

I'll get pics. this evening, I'm also doing a t-5 swap out of a mustang with s-10 shifter..I'm planning on sharing entire swap since it seems to be popular..

I'd still like to see your pics as well Demon72Jody, I'm just getting ready to install my hydraulic clutch and you can't get to many ideas that's for sure.

After several attempts to mount to booster i realized there was way too much movement and finally mounted it like you did 72BBSwinger. Thanks for pics.
The small Wilwood m/c mounted between firewall and booster.

The other thing I learned that if you use a Quick Time bell housing you may have to clearance pivot so that the for will have full travel. Mine was binding up causing me to think the clutch was too firm..I bought an off the shelf pilot bushing and had it slightly turned down to fit torque convertor hole as input shaft of the T5 was too shallow to go in smaller hole..Pilot was a Dorman 690-032 I got at Oreillys for $6.00

Determining Pedal Ratio The key to a hydraulic clutch setup is getting the pedal ratio correct. In fact, it’s critical, and an inch or two can make all the difference in how the clutch performs. Just like a brake pedal, the clutch pedal acts as a lever to increase the force applied by the driver to the master cylinder. That force tells the master cylinder to send fluid to the release bearing or clutch slave. If you examine a clutch pedal, you’ll see the pivot point (where the pedal moves) and the mounting point/hole for the master cylinder pushrod are quite often different. By varying the length of the pedal and/or the distance between the pushrod mount and the pedal pivot, you can change how much force (via your left leg) is required to energize the master cylinder. This is the mechanical advantage, or pedal ratio. What you need to do is to figure out a ratio that provides enough force to energize the master cylinder without requiring too much effort on your leg’s part. Let’s start at the beginning. The typical adult male leg can exert roughly 300 pounds of force. If you’ve ever tried to single-leg press 300 pounds at a gym, you know that’s a bunch. When you’re figuring out the right pedal ratio for the clutch, shoot for a force number that is 1/3 or less than that 300 pound figure. That will make working the clutch much more comfortable. Next, you have to translate that 100 or so pounds of leg force into approximately 600 psi. You can do this by changing the overall length of the pedal, but it’s usually easier (and far more practical) to shorten the distance between the pivot point and the master cylinder pushrod mount location by drilling a hole for a new pushrod location. If you go overboard in the pedal ratio department, the clutch can become over-sensitive or touchy. So how do you get it right? First, you need some measurements: Height of the pedal from the very bottom through the centerline of the pivot point Center-to-center measurement through the pivot point and the clutch pushrod hole in the pedal lever Using an aftermarket reproduction clutch pedal as the example, dimension #1 is 13.25 inches. There are two different stock pushrod holes available (measurement #2): three inches and 3.625 inches. To determine pedal ratio, divide figure #1 by #2. Here’s how the ratios look for our example: 13.25 / 3 = 4.41 ratio 13.25 / 3.625 = 3.63 ratio The recommended pedal ratio with either a 7/8- or 3/4-inch bore clutch master cylinder is around 6:1, so we would need to drill a new pushrod hole approximately 2.2 inches from the pivot point to get the optimum pedal ratio (13.25 / 2.2 = 6.072). Take a look at the photos and captions above to see how simple a hydraulic clutch system really is. In a few weeks, we’ll look at some mechanical linkage options.

Read more at OnAllCylinders: Please Release Me: How to Set Up a Hydraulic Clutch: http://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/07/05/please-release-me-how-to-set-up-a-hydraulic-clutch/?utm_source=oac-link&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste
Determining Pedal Ratio The key to a hydraulic clutch setup is getting the pedal ratio correct. In fact, it’s critical, and an inch or two can make all the difference in how the clutch performs. Just like a brake pedal, the clutch pedal acts as a lever to increase the force applied by the driver to the master cylinder. That force tells the master cylinder to send fluid to the release bearing or clutch slave. If you examine a clutch pedal, you’ll see the pivot point (where the pedal moves) and the mounting point/hole for the master cylinder pushrod are quite often different. By varying the length of the pedal and/or the distance between the pushrod mount and the pedal pivot, you can change how much force (via your left leg) is required to energize the master cylinder. This is the mechanical advantage, or pedal ratio. What you need to do is to figure out a ratio that provides enough force to energize the master cylinder without requiring too much effort on your leg’s part. Let’s start at the beginning. The typical adult male leg can exert roughly 300 pounds of force. If you’ve ever tried to single-leg press 300 pounds at a gym, you know that’s a bunch. When you’re figuring out the right pedal ratio for the clutch, shoot for a force number that is 1/3 or less than that 300 pound figure. That will make working the clutch much more comfortable. Next, you have to translate that 100 or so pounds of leg force into approximately 600 psi. You can do this by changing the overall length of the pedal, but it’s usually easier (and far more practical) to shorten the distance between the pivot point and the master cylinder pushrod mount location by drilling a hole for a new pushrod location. If you go overboard in the pedal ratio department, the clutch can become over-sensitive or touchy. So how do you get it right? First, you need some measurements: Height of the pedal from the very bottom through the centerline of the pivot point Center-to-center measurement through the pivot point and the clutch pushrod hole in the pedal lever Using an aftermarket reproduction clutch pedal as the example, dimension #1 is 13.25 inches. There are two different stock pushrod holes available (measurement #2): three inches and 3.625 inches. To determine pedal ratio, divide figure #1 by #2. Here’s how the ratios look for our example: 13.25 / 3 = 4.41 ratio 13.25 / 3.625 = 3.63 ratio The recommended pedal ratio with either a 7/8- or 3/4-inch bore clutch master cylinder is around 6:1, so we would need to drill a new pushrod hole approximately 2.2 inches from the pivot point to get the optimum pedal ratio (13.25 / 2.2 = 6.072). Take a look at the photos and captions above to see how simple a hydraulic clutch system really is. In a few weeks, we’ll look at some mechanical linkage options.

Read more at OnAllCylinders: Please Release Me: How to Set Up a Hydraulic Clutch: http://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/07/05/please-release-me-how-to-set-up-a-hydraulic-clutch/?utm_source=oac-link&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste

The other thing to keep in mind is that ratio isn't necessarily the only thing to worry about. You can have a really nice ratio that's easier on your leg, but as the ratio changes the pedal travel does as well. Odds are the change will be less extreme, but since you're talking about travelling in an arc about the pedal pivot, as your master cylinder rod moves down from the pivot to the pedal (heavier pedal), your required pedal swing for maximum master cylinder stroke goes down as well. If you have a really high pickup point for the master cylinder you'll have a nice light pedal, but you have to swing the pedal really far to get full stroke.

It's all about balance and preference. There are multiple tuning points in the system you can mess with to get what you like. Changing master cylinder bores can also change pedal pressure, but fluid volume can change with it too. It seems most aftermarket "universal" master cylinders try to keep it balanced (so a smaller bore has more stroke than a larger bore to keep equal volumes), but you'd have to account for that on pedal travel as well.

Long story short, heavy pedal usually equals shorter throw. Softer pedal means more travel.

-
Back