Cleaning bare aluminum?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Want to clean up all the underhood aluminum. Air Gap (in the valley will be fun), heads, new radiator, and valve covers. With the exception of the valve covers it all has to be done in the car. What have you all used that is easiest and really works?
I clear coated the valve covers, so if possible I need to remove the clear and/or polish them and polish the accessible areas of the radiator in the car.

Thanks!

I have tried wheel cleaners with so-so results. Maybe haven't tried the right brand, but wondering if there's something better out there.

Diesel fuel. Spray it on. Let it sit. Pressure wash it off.

Brake fluid will remove the clear.

NO just parked it there to get my pit on the trailer.
Could be Friday or Saturday to replace tranny seal.

I have tried wheel cleaners with so-so results. Maybe haven't tried the right brand, but wondering if there's something better out there.

Use the stuff for non-coated wheels. The ones for coated wheels do not have acidic base to etch it clean. The most acid is in the wire wheel cleaner but be careful with that as it eats faster.

Mothers is great for smooth surface aluminum, but I found plain old dish soap and a toothbrush type steel wire brush used in circles works good for the rough casting of intakes.
This one was a real mess when I got it, but in good condition.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 251
I have used Simichrome for years and it works great. It does take time and some elbow grease but looks great after it's done. It's a little hard to find but the Harley dealer usually has it or you can buy it on-line from a lot of places.

Attachments

• Simichrome_1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Simichrome_2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 209
X2 on the dish soap and brushes.

And this is why.

The simichrome and mothers are both good, but only for smooth aluminum.
Dish soap removes the oils, brushes renew the surface of the rough aluminum of intakes and the circles keeps it from developing a pattern in the surface.

I have used both simichrome and mothers, and the mothers is WAY faster with less rubbing.

And this is why.

The simichrome and mothers are both good, but only for smooth aluminum.
Dish soap removes the oils, brushes renew the surface of the rough aluminum of intakes and the circles keeps it from developing a pattern in the surface.

I have used both simichrome and mothers, and the mothers is WAY faster with less rubbing.

I tried EVERYTHING. ... and I mean everything. ...old school and simple ended up working the best.
Restored my manifold to almost new condition using dish soap.
I think it cost about $.15 worth of soap.

Lye followed by a 5%nitric acids solution will get bare aluminum as clean as it will ever get, if it's pure enough. That's the prep for anodizing.

-
Back