Cleaning carbon from pistons

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
What is the safest way to clean up built up carbon from pistons without removing them from the block?

I used a brass wire brush on my 4 1/2 inch grinder and a shop vacuum. I also covered everything else in plastic and tape to keep the mess to a minimum. I used brake parts cleaner and lint free rags to wipe everything down afterwards, cleaned until the rags had no dirt on them. It is not really a recommended practice to clean them while in the block, or so I have been told, but I have done a lot of engines that way and never really had a problem. I just did my engine that way put it back together and have already done a 4 hour round trip with out a hitch... good luck and post pics...

I use carb clean and the brass wire brush and some good rags. Not a lot of carb clean... Just enough to soften it, and it wipes right off.

I only did that once on an old slant. I was concerned about getting debris along the ring lands, so I used a small ribbon of plasticine around the tops of the piston. Was it neccessary? Probably not. Was it smart? Probably notter..

Grant

-
Back