Cleaning fouled sparkplugs?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
I just got a new carb, and put in 8 new plugs, short story is I fouled a couple running rich.... any safe way of rejuvinating a brand new fouled plug?
I have been told both that some plugs don"t recover, and that they will be fine if you clean them up
What's your experience?

Well, do you clean them with an 'Italian tuneup" (WOT blast) or spray them down with carb cleaner, or?...

I clean them best I can with carb clean. I've been tempted and someday will buy a spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight. They're cheap, like $15 I think.

carb clean and a firm toothbrush
Yeah, probably overthinking it, but I had a good pro mechanic friend tell me if thet get fouled too many times they don't come back, and I have a set that started sparking at the heads after a few thousand miles of stupid tuning abuse.
Always trying to learn, preferably not the hard way...

right - but it sounds like this is only once and not even all of them - I would try cleaning 'em off for sure

If they have any carbon built up down inside the tip I use a flattened end paper clip to get that out and then wash them out with lacquer thinner (only because it's sitting right there)
Pretty much anything to cut the oil.

Insert all relevant safety disclaimers here. :D

A small wire brush and some Barryman 12 carb cleaner should do the trick...

Throw them out. I learned a long time ago it's not worth it ,I have a plug blaster and the media is to big and gets wedged all the way up in the plug. I have made a stainless wire and smashed the end down to get in the tight spot to dig it out. I used brake cleaner, top engine cleaner,that really brakes the carbon the best I think, and they don't last. I also have ran every plug made and the std autolite copper core last the longest and if they foul throw then out $2.00 ea at any part store. Champions wont get my around the block & autolites I can run all summer. I changed the media in my blaster to a very fine grit but was told once the porcelain gets rough the carbon sticks even better and that you can't clean the media out of the plug it only comes out when the temp get high and the pores open up it comes out and gets in your rings and scratches the cyl wall and this goes for all parts of the engine that you rebuild it must be a high temp pressure blast to get it clean.

The best way to clean plugs is with a small hand held torch works every time. Get them red hot on the chamber side regap and install works every time.

The best way to clean plugs is with a small hand held torch works every time. Get them red hot on the chamber side regap and install works every time.
I also have used this method on my own stuff, and occasionally in the field. On single cylinder engines and snowmobiles, I always replace them. NO mechanic wants to be reamed a new one by an unhappy customer who had to walk. And sledders love to put the blame on the mechanic, saying;"well you're the last guy that worked on it!"

I use a plug cleaner like the HF one. as said clean the plugs VERY thoroughly when done & use fine media & it helps to turn (rotate) the plug in the hole plus move it up & down & back & forth when cleaning it. 1 minute is plenty on each plug & you're good.

Last edited:
I like the old air powered blasters. They work great with walnut shells.

Quite a few years ago my buddy was at my house with his 55 chevy truck. He had a built 350. He said it started missing on the way over and he wanted to " clean out the plugs" We got on the highway and made a full nitrous pass to the next exit and back. After it was still missing we discovered it had a broken rocker stud. Yep, good times..

Walnut shell much better idea than brass wire brush. Brass residue left on insulator...

-
Back