Cleaning out cowl prior to paint

-

DartmanTampabay

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After way too long working on again / off again on the body, finally getting ready to shoot the base/clear this weekend on the 69 GTS.

Wet sanding all done but have alot of primer overspray inside the cowl and not sure how to clean out or paint over.

Any ideas on how to clean before painting? some guys talked about painting black prior to final color but not sure on that either.

Have a couple of days to prep - NEED SOME INPUTS, thanks.

Attachments

• Moparts pic eng 1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 214
If you have Gumby-like arms you can reach up inside the cowl through the vent holes and clean it out. On mine, once painted, I sprayed undercoat with a straw through the cowl grille to blacken everything and make it look nicer..

Factory didn't care. Your options are limited. You'd think paint would land in the same spot the primer did. This is one of the things I dislike about a bodies, no removable cowl. Either cover it up with something with a tiny nozzle, or rock it hard. Personally, I have the luxury of putting some masking paper there because I popped mine off. But not many people do.

When I was working on the car I masked off the cowl to keep dust and dirt out but no matter how hard you try, dust finds its way in. So, here is what I did when I was ready to paint as I had the same problem. I added a long flexable tube or hose to my blow gun (about 1 foot) to get down into the cowl. I opened up the vents and spent about an hour blowing air every which way, down from the top, up from inside the vents. Then about an hour before I was ready to mask it for painting, I washed the car and flushed water down the cowl. When the car went into the paint booth, I made sure the inside of the cowl was still damp so no dust would come out while painting. The car came out of the booth super clean. No dust at all from the cowl. Hope this helps

-
Back