Cleaning the engine compartment?

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
How do you guys go about cleaning and striping the engine compantment for paint?

couple energy drinks a pizza and a wire wheel and sander on high speed air tool

brake fluid takes off paint think its dot 3

pressure spray it before anything try to get any grease off first

Rust-O-Leum aircraft remover with coarse steel wool and a scraper works great. Wear gloves, long sleeves and safety glasses. If it gets on your skin it will BURN!!:cherry: When you get down to bare metal, wash thoroughly with water, dry and prime. I bought mine at AutoZone, but you can probably get it at hardware stores or Homo Depot.

Attachments

• aircraft paint stripper.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 225
http://www.supercleanbrands.com/products

For degreasing, get some of this. It makes Simple Green look like a punk! Also available in Wally World's automotive depratment, in a 1 gallon jug. You can cut the heck out of this stuff and it will still kick ***. Beware of poorly prepped painted surfaces.. it will take the grease out from under paint and the paint goes with it!
I use this stuff around the house and have a 20 or so ounce spray bottle.. put about a half an ich in the bottom and the rest is just water.. and have even thinned it again and it still cuts grease agressively.
Would probably be unreal in a pressure washer.
A gallon lasts me about a year and I use the heck out of it. Spray it on crud and watch it just run off.

Trust me, it's good stuff. I don't brag too many products.. pretty much this and Rain-X.

Hope this helps...

Alan

P.S. Don't stick your head in the sink if you use this to clean it.. which it will.
It will clear your sinuses out pretty good!

Works pretty good if you use a capfull in the laundry or work clothes too.

Verrrrry concentrated and can be thinned quite a bit.. straight use will make soap forever... so it seems.

Alan

This is the easiest way with sand. I use a sealed plate from an oild steering column and a sealed with RTV bulk head plug Seal all the factory holes using what went in them. Once you get sand in the car its hard to get out. especially the cowl.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 151
Good tips on the sandblasting. Don't forget you still need to degrease it first. Caked on crud slows down the media, and makes it far less effective.

Also, I'm now intrigued to try some of that Super Clean myself.

$8 for a gallon of the superclean. Not bad. I used Easyoff years ago on the k member and it degreased and removed paint. :) I don't have a portable sandblaster, so I will have to go with hand tools. I used the aircraft striper on my dash and it seems to be more work than just sanding by hand, but is a much smaller area than a engine compartment.

-
Back