clear coat question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I got my 68 barracuda painted 2-3 months ago, it was never baked after sprayed just painted in a garage the painter used omni base and clear the job turned out better turned out great and has been wet sanded also.
My question is last week I put some trim/emblems on , then this week I took the "barracuda" fender emblem back off to polish it up a little better and noticed a faint "barracuda" imprint into the clear. I did have the mounting bolts good and tight. Is this anything to worry about?
Now that the weather in my area is getting nice would leaving it out in the sun help this ? Like I said the car has been wet sanded and polished and the paint seams to be good and hard, just strange this happened
Thanks for any advice

Paint systems can take up to 90 days to bleed all of the solvent out. The finish was still soft when you installed so it left an imprint. This won't go away and as long as you didn't break the finish it's nothing to worry about. The emblem covers it all anyway.

Clear coat is like concrete, it takes a month to fully harden. Baking is just for production times, to get them in and out of the paint booth and get the next job in. Unless the painter really f'd up and didn't mix it in the correct ratio of clear to hardener, it's fine I'd say.

Thanks guys that what I was hoping to hear. I will definitely keep an eye on it and get her out in the sun, it's been in a slightly cold storage since been painted also .
Thanks

-
Back