Clear coat....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Planning on the bike being flat/semi gloss black. Would like for it to not have the roughness/texture of a typical hot rod type of black. Is there a clear coat that is meant for hot rod black? When I had the car painted EZ had 0 luck with clearing my hood. Thinking about having The Mistress of Metal powder coat the sheet metal stuff if I can not get what I want paint wise.....

Summit sells some pretty decent paint, they have hot rod black in 2 stage and clear for it.
I have had really good luck with summits base coat / clear system laying down nice and smooth with excellent shine.

I've used SEM hot rod black many times and never had a problem with it laying down, But the **** is tricky to spray.

You have to watch using flattening agents in clears. Because it can shine up over time from washing and polishing. There are some pretty good hot rod blacks out there. Or you could even consider DuPont vinyl. Its a satin black that I've used on Torino hoods and mustangs

When my body guy tried to shoot clear on the hood of the Dart it just never looked right......too glossy, uneven/splotchy looking among other troubles...thinking I may just box up everything I want done and keep the Mistress of Metal busy for a little while....fenders, oil tank, fuel tanks, frame, forks parts, risers, brake caliper bracket and associated parts, motor mount/coil mount and cover...miscellaneous motor parts....

Definitely more tricky to spray flattened clear, and despite what the companies may tell you it can be buffed to a shine, which is so wrong. So that means no cutting out sags or runs. For parts the size of your bike stuff I think you'd be doing it right to send them to Leanna. No worries about blotchiness or uneven flatness with powder.

When my body guy tried to shoot clear on the hood of the Dart it just never looked right......too glossy, uneven/splotchy looking among other troubles...thinking I may just box up everything I want done and keep the Mistress of Metal busy for a little while....fenders, oil tank, fuel tanks, frame, forks parts, risers, brake caliper bracket and associated parts, motor mount/coil mount and cover...miscellaneous motor parts....

For the happy horse **** involved (including mine) ,an excellent statement.
Trust ,who you know.....

Definitely more tricky to spray flattened clear, and despite what the companies may tell you it can be buffed to a shine, which is so wrong. So that means no cutting out sags or runs. For parts the size of your bike stuff I think you'd be doing it right to send them to Leanna. No worries about blotchiness or uneven flatness with powder.
And when the sure to happen gas spill occurs on the tanks it will not be a problem...

Clear coat
Not entirely....but close....

For the happy horse **** involved (including mine) ,an excellent statement.
Trust ,who you know.....
Yup

Ink,
I have had good success with both Matte Clear and Matte Black from SPI. I used the Matte Clear on my Rocky Mountain Dash insert. The Matte Black is a single stage that you can mix it anywhere from 4:1 up to 8:1. I used 4:1 on all my trim and bumpers, it's more of a satin or eggshell finish than a dead flat black. I did spray outs of 6:1 and 8:1 as well but liked the 4:1 so that's what I used. The 6:1 was what I would call a hot rod black and the 8:1 wouldn't even reflect a flashlight shined right at it

I've never tried it -- because I'm not a painter :-D -- but have heard that simple baking soda added to any paint will remove all trace of gloss. Any thoughts on this or anyone who's actually tried it?

Thanks for the mentions guys! I love ya'll muahhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sure one of the paint guys will chime in but, I thought you could get a matte or 30% clear coat. I don't think you can buff them high gloss. I tried an experiment on my 64 D100. I didn't want high gloss so, I just sanded the single stage flat with 2000 grit. I then just buffed enough to be satin. I didn't cut it much with the rubbing compound and went right to polishing compound. Here is a pix. Compare lower door to untouched fender and top of door. There is no reflection head on. I messed it up in a few places and found a couple of lows so, it is fixed and waiting for paint again.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 171
That's interesting. I've thought of creating a flat finish that way but was shot down when I suggested the possibility. Do you have a thread?

I'd like to do a flat paint job on my Dart. Here's a few factoids I came across. Flat paint is made by adding talc (talcum powder) to what would otherwise be gloss paint. Talc is magnesium silicate. Soapstone is mainly talc.

I read differing reports on the care of flat paint, whether clear or single stage ranging from easy to painful.

SPI makes a flat epoxy black, the only one that has UV inhibitor making it reasonable for topcoat use. Sealed up my Duster with it. Sprays easy.

View attachment 2012-10-15 17.02.51.jpg

I've never tried it -- because I'm not a painter :-D -- but have heard that simple baking soda added to any paint will remove all trace of gloss. Any thoughts on this or anyone who's actually tried it?

Thanks for the mentions guys! I love ya'll muahhhhhhhhhhh

Tried the baking soda idea,from the HAMB. Endend up with glossy lumpy psint,lol. Possibly mixed wrong,didn't work for me.

-
Back