clutch for my 65 barracuda v-8

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
So my problem now that I have a good strong 318+.40 with 10.5 to 1 compression, is that my small clutch can't hold and slips when putting the gas pedal on the fast setting...I have the 10" clutch Brewers sells, but it's just not cuttin it...Would a swap in rear gears help..I am running a 2.76 gear in the 8 3/4 rear, but I have a 3.55 set I could put in. I don't want to mess with changing to a later bellhousing to accomodate a bigger clutch. Too much to figure out with the linkage and floor pan and all that.
Any suggestions? Anyone make a stonger clutch to fit these little cars?

Wake it up a little and throw those 3.55's in there. Not sure if it'l help, or hurt, the clutch issue. But it'll sure be alot more fun.

Contact Clutchnet, and get a clutch than can hold the torque.

They have been making clutches in USA for 48 years, and made clutches for that car when it was new. They understand the A body clutch issues.

I would call them and tell them what you have - and what you want / how you drive it.

http://www.clutchnet.com/

B.

I checked out their website...not a bad deal, but I would call them 1st before ordering just to make sure they are designed to fit my small belhousing.
Do the different stages also represent increased pedal pressure? My pedal now is very easy to push.

There are two ways to hold more torque in a given clutch diameter.

1) Add clamping pressure

2) Use a material with a higher coefficient of friction

A combination of the two may also be used.

An increase in clamping force will increase pedal force. The pedal effort does not have to be huge to get the job done, but it may need to increase some in your setup.

A disc with a better COF may be all you need. I used to run a stock VW pressure plate on a Clutchnet disc - with a 302 Ford crammed in a 914 Porsche.

That is why I said to call them. They are in the clutch business. Lots of choices. I prefer the 6 puck sprung hub disc on a street car. Not everybody does. Call them and get some technical help with your combo.

B

Bohica is right on. Your Brewers clutch can be rebuilt with stiffer or more springs for more clamping pressure. Your disc has a organic lining. It can be relined with Kevlar or ceramic for more grip. A gear change to a 3:55 won't hurt either.
Look for a Clutchmasters in your area. tmm

-
Back