Clutch pedal clip popping off

-

mccula

Reaction score
The retaining clip that holds the clutch pedal onto the z bar on my 69 4 spd. bcuda keeps popping off. I noticed the problem one morning when I went to push in clutch, it went straight to the floor. found the spring clip laying on the ground. (The one that is shaped like a C, with one open end and two prongs on each side.)
It kinda worried me but I put it back into place and it held for a day. Today, on my drive to work, I noticed there was alot of noise from the pedal, so I looked down and saw the clip laying there..
I know this was deisgned and built 40 years ago, but frankly this design scares the **** out of me!
Has anyone had this happen before? Will a new clip fix the issue? Is there any thing I can do besides the clip that will make this safer?
If all I need is a new spring clip, where can I buy one from?

not sure but shouldnt there be a thin washer behind the clip that keeps it tight.

Sounds like the clip is worn out mabby. Never had mine come off on me. in fact the plastic junk one on my 05 Neon came off so I put a metal C clip one on it. I would try a new clip.

Yes, should be a nylon washer as well. Check the end of the clutch rod for wear. A new clip may not be the answer.

Have someone work the clutch and observe every pivot point to make sure nothing is bent in the linkage and the forces are normal to the pivot stud, etc... You don't need a clip for the linkage to work; it's just there to keep parts from rattling off. In other words no significant thrust forces should be on the clip. It's possible the lever on the bell crank is bent and the rod is trying to slide off when pressure is applied.

The nylon bushing in your Z bar maybe worn or outta place,which would put force on everyother part.Maybe the clip is worn out of round?You might get lucky just replacing it?Should replace both while your under there?

This is the clip you are talking about right? I noticed it only is tight one way. So mabby try fliping it around and see if that helps. Also try put it on from the top so it is facing up.

zzz.jpg

The nylon bushing in your Z bar maybe worn or outta place,which would put force on everyother part.Maybe the clip is worn out of round?You might get lucky just replacing it?Should replace both while your under there?
yep, been there. the nylon around the pivot ball, on the z shaft- worn-put side load on the clip.

The clip kept popping out on my Swinger too. I found that the bar was bent (very slightly, hard to see but it was bent) I straightened it out and it has been fine for years.

I think I have a couple of clips and washers, pm if interested.

-
Back