**Coil Over Conversion with Stock K**

-
I like the idler arm conversion. In my case I can weld but do not have the place to fab the pieces. Didn't know a 67 idler arm was so expensive.

Your bars are like the ones in my Demon, sorta. Mine has the snout bar welded to the firewall with no reinforcement so I plan to put a plate on the back side of the firewall and add a bar like this one you have:

attachment.php

At the same time I will add another down bar like you have but welded to a plate bolted to the floor. That location is right above the frame connectors. The corner tube gussets are also a nice touch. Just what does it take to get a cage to "cert" anyways? My cage has an old sticker that was painted over. Some of the welds are not 100% around, thus I like the gussets. I am looking to get to 6.0 in the 1/8th.

attachment.php

More tubes have been added to my cage since along with the swing outs completed. You can see the updates in my TT thread link below. I cut out the floor then hole sawed thru the frame connector to sink that bar down into the frame connector at the rear seat area. Then welded it all off.

I will check out the latest on the bars. Yeah, that bar across the drivers door opening is kinda hard to crawl around to get in / out, especially when the car is on the trailer like mine is now. With no wheels or front suspension. Car balances about 8" behind the rear door jam with nothing on the front end.

Well the bump stops don't even come into the equation with the coil over conversion. I am just going to use the Rubber stop that is on the shock shaft. I actually cut off the brackets on got rid of the whole bump stop assembly.

your referring to removing the lower bumps stops all together and keeping the uppers right?

So what would be a good shock & spring rate to go with in a drag car?

Depends on the weight of the car. I have 450lb springs for mine. My engine is all steel and I have extra weight from the turbo's, intercoolers and heat exchanger/fans etc on mine. Should be close.

okay Mad Dart great work so far like the set up. can i ask what it all cost? this would include your time that you have put in to this, all the welding skid and tow hook. the reason i ask is after you have all this done how close to the altered k are you?

okay Mad Dart great work so far like the set up. can i ask what it all cost? this would include your time that you have put in to this, all the welding skid and tow hook. the reason i ask is after you have all this done how close to the altered k are you?

Not close at all to an alterK. I could probably do this at least 4 Times.

your referring to removing the lower bumps stops all together and keeping the uppers right?

just saw this....

interesting....but not a good idea.

I do not think any shock manufacture would agree with removing bump stops, that goes for both ways, rebound and compression.

just my 2 cents....and please do not forget.... around here, when it comes to advice, you get what you pay for.

just saw this....

interesting....but not a good idea.

I do not think any shock manufacture would agree with removing bump stops, that goes for both ways, rebound and compression.

just my 2 cents....and please do not forget.... around here, when it comes to advice, you get what you pay for.

Take a look at all the Long Travel Dune Buggy's, off Road Trucks etc. Most do not have bump stops on Compression, they use the rubber stop on the shock shaft. As far as Droop, some use Straps to limit the travel, None that I have seen have any kind of stop unless the upper a arms come close to hitting something at full droop. This is the only time you will see a stop used. All depends on the application. Street car.......... will never see the abuse that an off road application will see.

Can't really compare the two in my opinion. Two totally different set ups.

Take a look at all the Long Travel Dune Buggy's, off Road Trucks etc. Most do not have bump stops on Compression, they use the rubber stop on the shock shaft. As far as Droop, some use Straps to limit the travel, None that I have seen have any kind of stop unless the upper a arms come close to hitting something at full droop. This is the only time you will see a stop used. All depends on the application. Street car.......... will never see the abuse that an off road application will see.

not my recommendation.....check the manufacture, however, I do agree with them.

wonder why the factory put them on?....maybe they were worried about Grandma and her 6cyl/ auto hittin the auto-cross.

I'm all for saving weight and removing needless items, but not at the expense of my shocks....especially a coilover

your shocks.....your call.

not my recommendation.....check the manufacture, however, I do agree with them.

wonder why the factory put them on?....maybe they were worried about Grandma and her 6cyl/ auto hittin the auto-cross.

I'm all for saving weight and removing needless items, but not at the expense of my shocks....especially a coilover

your shocks.....your call.

This was my old car. I will be having a new one built in a few months. No bump stops anywhere on it. For Droop in the rear only there are limiting straps. Front the shock tops out and that is the stop. I BEAT the crap out of that car for 6 seasons. Going over 4 Foot bumps at over 100 MPH. 22" of wheel Travel, never broke a damn thing on it either... But I don't know what I am talking about.
And Grandma's car was never part of the equation. Sorry you are mis informed on that subject.

View attachment 1st digital pictures 128.jpg

View attachment 1st digital pictures 143.jpg

View attachment Custom buggy.jpg

Looks a lot like my old sand car. It was a monster rail with LSX power naturally asp. Man I miss that car. There was a nice one at goodguys swap for 30k. I was tempted but have too many projects. What shocks were you running? I ran Kings looks like you may have been too.

beautiful sand rail.....I want a ride!

do you think there is any difference in the nose weight of your sand rail with the motor in the rear.... and our A body hot rods? No bumpstops on motorcycles either. Why?? ....Could it be there is not enough weight to damage anything.

Comparing a super light rear engine sand rail with coilovers on steroids to our 3400 lb front engine hot rods is hardly a fair comparison and justification for no bumpstops.

why do you have limiting straps (rebound stops) on the rear?....and once gain, why are there bump stops ,compression and rebound, on the factory suspension?. I will leave our grandma's out of it

good discussion....or as I like to call it...bench racin'

BTW....you should never admit you do not know what you are talkin about.(see above post) I personally think you are very knowledgeable. I might also add....it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something...or the last!

Might be able to get away with no bump stops on a light sand rail.....but you are out of your mind in anything that has some weight to it.....just look at Trophy Trucks, Class 7's, hell even a Ford Raptor and they will be using them...

http://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/suspension/ford-f-series-rear-frame-gusset/bump-stop-kit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hl1s1b999_8#t=12

When ADD used to build off road trucks they would often incorporate air/hydraulic bumps into the suspension travel....they would set them up that they would be used not just as a bump stop but as in conjunction with the last bit of wheel travel....

Can not imagine these trucks not having bump stops in them.....A while back I did see the the wild sounding F150 up close....coilovers/bypass and air bumps on each corner....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQAz_tJuWw"]trophy truck Duralast batteries - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah I have been known to be out of my mind AND Yes that car was light so you guys may be correct........My Sand Car weighed 1850LBS, Hopped up Cadillac Northstar, Holley 950 Commander, Big Camshafts, Head Studs and Cometic Gaskets. I use to shift that Quad Cam OHV-V8 at 8300 RPM on a Regular Basis. It ran its *** off for a lil 288 CI engine.

A big heavy trophy truck will usually have an Air Bump on both ends Rebound and Compression is what I have seen lately. Yes I will stand corrected on this subject. No big.

Looks a lot like my old sand car. It was a monster rail with LSX power naturally asp. Man I miss that car. There was a nice one at goodguys swap for 30k. I was tempted but have too many projects. What shocks were you running? I ran Kings looks like you may have been too.

Mine was a Raw Motorsports Sand Storm. Dana builds a very nice car hardly any mechanical failures on his design.

I was at his shop last week. We are coming up with a plan on building me a new one or possibly buying one of his re sell cars. He has a bunch down there right now. I don't like the BIG *** Heavy cars. I want my HP to Weight Ratio to be in the ZONE. No more that 2000Lbs with at least 800 Hp. He has one that a previous client is selling. Twin Turbo LS, 5 Seat about 800HP on Pump Fuel. We will see. I dune the **** out of my buggy's burning around 80 Gallons on a 3 day weekend at a minimum.

Yea mine was around 2100 lbs and I'm with you on power to weight. Mine was fast but not insanely fast. My buddy has a Nelson Racing twin in his that makes 1400 hp on the mild setting. Now its scary, not enough real estate to open it up unless we go to glamis. Since I broke my back on a quad I've avoided the sand but miss it like you wouldn't believe. Sand cars are my only option and like I said I kick myself in the *** for selling mine but things were tight and it wasn't getting used as much as I would have liked. Nothing like sailing 80 feet and landing without even feeling it. Would do my back wonders.

Yea mine was around 2100 lbs and I'm with you on power to weight. Mine was fast but not insanely fast. My buddy has a Nelson Racing twin in his that makes 1400 hp on the mild setting. Now its scary, not enough real estate to open it up unless we go to glamis. Since I broke my back on a quad I've avoided the sand but miss it like you wouldn't believe. Sand cars are my only option and like I said I kick myself in the *** for selling mine but things were tight and it wasn't getting used as much as I would have liked. Nothing like sailing 80 feet and landing without even feeling it. Would do my back wonders.

Ouch on the back.... Damn. Yeah the farthest I jumped mine was in the Oregon Dunes. Blipped the throttole out of a big bowl in second gear, over and down the other side. When I dropped into the bowl I had already seen the landing zone as I came around. I just didn't think it would fly that far. My son said I was 20' in the air and went out about 140' landing on the downside. When it landed it felt like I landed on a pile of Marshmallow's, did not feel a thing. That is one where there is NO DO OVER! lets do that again? NOT! Lucky I pulled it off on the first one. I was in the air long enough for my daughter in the front seat to say My stomach feels weird, Think im gunna throw up and I put my right arm across her chest area....... Like it is gunna help if something went sideways.......

Yea I was in Utah at the little Sahara dunes. Went off a witchback and fell 60' landed on my back. 5 years later I'm still in a chair. But I sure do miss the dunes!

-
Back