Column shift reverse manual valvebody

-

clv22p

72 Dodge Demon 340
Reaction score
I dont want to put a floor shifter in my car, but I want a manual valve body. So I intend to shift from the column. Ive read on another forum about grinding down a part that is in the column.

From the other forum:
"Sure it will work, And you can do some work in the column to make it work even better. Not too hard to do. There's a little peice of metal inside the coulmn that is held in with 2 phillps screws. It's the part that locks the shifter lever into place when you move the lever. I pull the coulmn apart and take it out and modify it where 1-2 gear is. That way you cant miss 2nd gear. When in 1st gear all you have to do smack the lever downward to go into 2nd. Then you pull the lever toward you and shift downward going into 3rd. Works great! Here's a pic. Just grind down where the red paint is. you will have a positive stop at 2nd gear."

I was wondering if any of you guys have done this mod and possibly took pictures or could give me any feedback on it.

I did it 10 or so years ago on my Dart. There is a metal plate with detents you will see after getting the wheel and horn/turn signal switch stuff out of the way. It's been a while for me, but you will see the stop for pulling the handle from drive to 2.You know how you have to pull the handle towards you, grind that out and you will be able to go from D-2-1 ( really 1-2-3)without doing anything but giving the handle a slight tap/bump to the next gear.I raced my car that way for 5 years before putting a B&M floor shifter in.
Once you get used to it you will love it.The tranny detents are strong enough that when you slap the next gear you won't over shift.Once and only once I bumped the shifter from 3 to 2 with my knee going thru the lights lifting to avoid a break out.Not fun...After that I started to keep my foot in it and drag the brakes(slightly) on the big end if needed. Truthfully it was a waste of time and money converting it to a floor shifter(for me) I should have left it as be.
Sorry no pictures but it is easy to figure out.

My Dart is done like that, but not by me- I bought it that way. I have no problem with it the way it is. I bought a floor shifer but I am not sure that I am going to install it.

its an awesome way to keep the sleeper look going. there is a guy at the track that runs a 71 valiant 4 door with a 440 in it. column shifted with the dog dish wheels on it. car looks like the day it was new. super quiet even. it runs mid 11s. i bet he surprises alot of people on the street with it.

Mine is like that for the old skool look.But have gone from 1st to 3rd a few times at the track.Good luck Kevin.

I dont want to put a floor shifter in my car, but I want a manual valve body. So I intend to shift from the column. Ive read on another forum about grinding down a part that is in the column.

From the other forum:
"Sure it will work, And you can do some work in the column to make it work even better. Not too hard to do. There's a little peice of metal inside the coulmn that is held in with 2 phillps screws. It's the part that locks the shifter lever into place when you move the lever. I pull the coulmn apart and take it out and modify it where 1-2 gear is. That way you cant miss 2nd gear. When in 1st gear all you have to do smack the lever downward to go into 2nd. Then you pull the lever toward you and shift downward going into 3rd. Works great! Here's a pic. Just grind down where the red paint is. you will have a positive stop at 2nd gear."

I was wondering if any of you guys have done this mod and possibly took pictures or could give me any feedback on it.

Can you post a link to the other forum?? I am very interested in doing the mod exactly like the quote above. I like the idea of poping second without the chance of getting 3rd. I too was just about to put in a floor shifter and would like to try this out and see how it works.

Can you post a link to the other forum?? I am very interested in doing the mod exactly like the quote above. I like the idea of poping second without the chance of getting 3rd. I too was just about to put in a floor shifter and would like to try this out and see how it works.
it works real good, my satallite was like that and ran 12 flat.somtimes the tech guy will question you if you miss but it is a worthy
mod

-
Back