Column to console shifter conversion

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
I have a 70 Swinger with an automatic trans and I'm looking to go from a column shifter to a console shifter. Obviously my car isn't equipped with the brackets that the console would bolt on to, and I'm wondering what the best solution to this is. Also, is there anything I need to watch out for with this conversion?

There are many more pieces needed than just console mounting brackets. The shifter linkage bits unheath the car are the most difficult to gather.
The only unforseen issue is where the cars reverse lamp switch and wiring are. They may or may not need to be moved.

Yes, absolutely, but my biggest concern is how I'm going to mount the console to the floor.

I have seen sever floor section and mounting brackets for sale on ebay. My car was a factory console and one of the previous owners cut off the brackets to install a B&M shifter. It was no big deal to weld them back on but the linkage was a pain in the but to get. I have a partial set but getting all the bits wasn't fun.

They can't be made for that.

I've got sample pieces and a couple measured drawings to make every piece needed. I've got a templete for properly locating those brakets in the floor too.
I can even take a shifter with broken cable , button, etc.., and turn it somrthing different but any way you go about the conversion will be quite expensive. Good luck

SILVER BMW SHIFT 02.JPG

I don't know how authentic you want your car to be but mine had a B & M floor shifter installed when I purchased it. It looks sort of lonesome sitting there all by itself so, my son is going to make a floor console to house it and provide a storage box, cup holders, extra gauges, etc. I had this done to a '62 Chevy Impala many years ago and it was so well constructed that most people thought it was a factory option. The console will be made from wood and vinal to match the interior when finished. Total cost will be under $100.00. I am not a purist so I don't care that it won't be an appropriate "factory" installed product. It will be professionally designed and constructed and I will be happy. The main thing to consider when doing any conversions to your classic car --- how much money do you wish to spend and who do you want to impress --- yourself or the public?

Just a thought......BUT, you could also forget about the console, and go to a floor mounted Hurst that appears just like a 4 speed............

It's actually easier than the console conversion, since you're using a cable instead of the original linkages.........and in my opinion, it looks better (all according to taste.......). Here's a pic........I installed standard shift bells on my column to get rid of the trash..........

111_1191.jpg

111_1175.jpg

110_1045.jpg

hi 3000, here is a pic of my 70 340 swinger. i bought the console brackets ,
bracket to bottom of trans, and linkage on ebay.
all for around $150.00 you need a mig welder and a hole saw.
bolt the bracket to the console .set it in place .make sure the shifter
P R N D 1 2 are lined up and weld it in.

000_0401.jpg

PastorTom, I really like your shifter and am curious how you set that up. Did you get a kit from Hurst or is it something you threw together? I like the look of the 4 speed but the wife is calling for an auto.

I don't know how authentic you want your car to be but mine had a B & M floor shifter installed when I purchased it. It looks sort of lonesome sitting there all by itself so, my son is going to make a floor console to house it and provide a storage box, cup holders, extra gauges, etc. I had this done to a '62 Chevy Impala many years ago and it was so well constructed that most people thought it was a factory option. The console will be made from wood and vinal to match the interior when finished. Total cost will be under $100.00. I am not a purist so I don't care that it won't be an appropriate "factory" installed product. It will be professionally designed and constructed and I will be happy. The main thing to consider when doing any conversions to your classic car --- how much money do you wish to spend and who do you want to impress --- yourself or the public?

I got a screamin' deal on some bucket seats and I'm going to be putting them in, but I'm thinking I need some type of console. If I'm going to put something between the seats it might as well have a shifter as part of it.

Authenticity is not an issue for me; I'm certainly not a purist. Just take a look at my car and the interior... no chrome or stainless steel, no woodgrain... I just don't want it to look odd or out of place. In fact, if I could get / build something that looks a little more modern I'd be happy.

Pastortom, I think your setup is the kind of thing that would look cool in my car. I personally woudn't prefer that particular shifer, but you console(s) look great to me.

Redfish, thanks for the tip about the reverse lights. I'll keep it in mind. This might be the perfect time for me to finally get mine working!

Limelite, thanks for the advice... if I go factory style I'll definitely keep your comments in mind.

On another note... does anyone know what car my seats would have originally been it? I'll be junking them once I put the buckets in, but I'm curious to know.

DSC03388b.jpg

DSC03358.jpg

PastorTom, I really like your shifter and am curious how you set that up. Did you get a kit from Hurst or is it something you threw together? I like the look of the 4 speed but the wife is calling for an auto.

It's a custom fabrication, but uses common B&M components. A very easy conversion, and cable operated. :toothy10:

PM me and I'll send you some info.

I converted my to a floor shift. The first one was a B&M and it was nothing but trouble with the cable too close to the exhuast. So I got a Lockar shifter that mounts on the floor and soild rods connected to the trans.

It's a custom fabrication, but uses common B&M components. A very easy conversion, and cable operated. :toothy10:

PM me and I'll send you some info.

So your car is still an auto but it looks like a 4 speed? If so thats awesome what all is needed to do this?

-
Back