come on guys i need a build for a 383.

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
come on I need a good build for a 383 with out stroking. Got 906 heads and I want the top half to be good enough to go on a stroked 400 later. Where you BB guys at???

I have a 383 i'm gonna put in my Duster.Not sure what all i'm gonna do to it but here's what i have for it so far,
Bored 40over
440 heads(i think there 906?)
MP 509lift cam
Single plane aluminum intake
750cfm carb.(don't have the carb. yet)
Schumacher chrome headers

Possibly a set of roller rockers and maybe a gear drive.Not sure what kind of HP it will make.The block and crank is from a wrecked 71 Charger.

383Man has a nice mild combo that runs mid 12s.
383 stock short block ,stock heads RPM intake Mopar Perf.284-.484" cam 2" TTI headers, TurboAction conv. (10"?) 3.91 gears.

MoparMuscle built a 400 horse 383 with KB pistons CompCams XE284 cam. M1 single plane, Demon 850 carn and 2" hooker headers.

chad72duster said:
come on I need a good build for a 383 with out stroking. Got 906 heads and I want the top half to be good enough to go on a stroked 400 later. Where you BB guys at???

I'm right here Chad :lol: OOPS I forgot, I run a small block that eats big blocks. Sorry :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chad this is what you need:

20047248851915463119268.jpg

got one of these

20047246718987666779232.jpg

cant complain but I want me 1 of each and you have to admit there just something special about a Big Block A body

old boy has a 440 block maybe I can talk him out of it for a few coins and take the 906 from the 383 and then stroke it to a 496 :shock: :shock:

Then it might get ugly Brett :D

You Know I just had to go out and run the duster around the block after listening to Brett. My little 340 pulls pretty damn hard and Bretts tranny and rear are about the same as mine. I can only imagine how hard that stroker pulls.
that has to be one fun ride.

Stroker's are a riot!! People can't believe that a small block can be reliable and make that much streetable HP. With a good set of heads and a cam change I could easily make 650 HP and still get the groceries. :D

Chad I say get the 590 lift solid (I have this one :wink: ), the 620 MP cam(don't know anoyone that has run this one yet though), or maybe talk to Scott Brown and have him set ya up.
run 11.5 to 1 compression, and if you can't afford a nice set of high flowing aluminum heads, I'd try to find some 915's (the closed chamber 1967 440 heads) then drop some 2.14 intakes and 1.81 exhaust valves into them along with some port work and a good valve job. You can do this with those 906's too, but those closed chambers would be better for combustion.
Find a good single plane intake that will match the cams power range, a big tweaked holley carb and a 1" HVH 4 hole tappered spacer. Then get some Pro Parts headers, because I think these make a little more power than most of the others out there. You could also add a CSI billet electric water pump for I think at least 20 or so more HP
Hope this at least gets ya some kind of ideas, not really sure how much HP this will make, just pick your parts wisely 10 HP here, 15 HP there, it all adds up in the end.
Good luck

thanks Pro street thats what I am look for. Sounds like a plan. do you think a domed piston or a flat top. If I go with a flat top at 0 deck what can I exspect.??
I will probly just flow my 906 heads seeing that 915 head are getting hard to come by and the 906 heads even though its open chambered flows pretty well.

I will try and build the cam around the gear and the same with the carb. I was thinking an 8 3/4 with a 4:56 a tub and spring relocator should do the trick.

This is going to be a couple of years project but I have the 340 to beat up on for right now.

Chad, if you can figure out what you want in a 400 based stroker, then you can pick a lot of the parts for this basic 383 build that will transfer to the better package. If you can, try and find some used forged flattop 383 pistons, redue the stock rods with better bolts, to minimize the total cash outlay for stuff you won't reuse with the bigger motor. The next part gets tricky. A 383 with low compression of 9.5 to one or less, needed with open iron heads and pump gas, will not like as big a cam as a 499 incher, so you will need to make a decision about what you really want in the future, and if what you can incorperate that cam in the 383. The rockers and springs, retainers and pushrods should be all solid in my estimation, and you could pick a cam that will be a touch radical in the 383, streetable in the 499. I would think a .528 lift MP solid cam would work well, and give you plenty of low end torque in the bigger motor. While you are at it, you could use a 1.6 rocker for a bit more valve lift. A pocket port on the heads, back cut the valves, a set of 1 7/8 headers, and an X type intake , which will be better for the 499 would do the trick, or you could find a performer RPM and use that on both, then upgrade to the X type intake later. A 750 holley will get the job done, but for the bigger motor, an 850 would be better. So it will all be a compromise, if you want to plan ahead for the bigger motor.

I think Chad was mostly going to race this motor.
Chad why not hunt down a 400 block for your next stoker, instead of a 440, there a dime a dozen. This way you can still use your intake and distributer from the 383, and besides the 383's and 400's are about 60-65 LBs lighter than a 440 :thumrigh:

I have a set of 413 426 heads according to the casting numbers Also have a solid roller cam that has roller beargings on the journels called a Crower Imperial it is no longer made but mikes out perferct had it in a 383 with 040 overbore and would turn 10000 rpm you will have to have pistons with valve releifs and a strong valve train Casting number on head is 2406518 These can be really hot heads with a little work I am in Racine Wisconsin if you are interested

Wow!
This thread is almost 12 years old since the last post!
Talk about digging it up from the archives!

Wow!
This thread is almost 12 years old since the last post!
Talk about digging it up from the archives!

True.. and properly built 360's are STILL eating 383's for lunch and dinner:D:D

-
Back