Status
Not open for further replies.

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I need a pair of NOS oem steel shim head gaskets for the commando engine. P/N 2463 338 for early 273 3.63 bore .021 thick ...............
IF I can't find the first number , here are second choices >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
for 1968 318 p/n 2806 984 bore size 3.91 .020 thick
for 1969 318 p/n 2951 259 .028 thick 3.91 bore
for 1970 318 p/n 2946 082 .028 thick 3.91 bore. let me know what you have .
Thanks !

Last edited:
I saw a set of them on eBay early last week. Maybe they’re still there?

Jake

i have some factory mopar upper end gasket kits from the 80's , but there not the steel shim type ect....

Let me ask a stupid question. What’s the difference between using a steel head gasket and using no head gasket at all (besides the obvious difference in head cc measurements)? I always wondered about this. It’s pretty obvious that steel gaskets don’t compress much, if at all, so why are they used instead of nothing???

Let me ask a stupid question. What’s the difference between using a steel head gasket and using no head gasket at all (besides the obvious difference in head cc measurements)? I always wondered about this. It’s pretty obvious that steel gaskets don’t compress much, if at all, so why are they used instead of nothing???

When I worked at an antique restoration shop, we got an original Alvis (British car) in to restore. It was a straight 6. Beside having to remove the cam from the rear into the passenger compartment, the motor used no head nor intake/exhaust gaskets. Can't remember about any other gaskets. I guess they depended on really close manufacturing tolerances.

The embossed steel gaskets do seal. The "no gasket" theory won't work. Too much pressure (compression) and a mix of that and coolant and oil.

The embossed steel gaskets do seal. The "no gasket" theory won't work. Too much pressure (compression) and a mix of that and coolant and oil.
Oh, so they have an embossed ridge on them? If so, I understand now. The ridge would do a pretty good job of sealing nearly flat surfaces.

Oh, so they have an embossed ridge on them? If so, I understand now. The ridge would do a pretty good job of sealing nearly flat surfaces.
Yes. Let me see if I can find a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back