Comp Cams 901 springs

-

d100clubcab

Reaction score
Are all 16 springs the same size in this set?

whats the tallest lift can i see with these?
something like a 268H? 274H?

I used those springs with a 268H and they worked great. I'm going to use them with a .486" lift cam and I talked to a COMP tech guy and he said that they would work fine. Just make sure the springs are good for what cam you want to run. If you go with COMP just call them and talk to 'em if you have any doubts. I think max lift for them is a little under .500" i think but you've got to think about stuff like rocker arm ratio and loss of lift due to valvetrain geometry. If you've got a cam with .500" of lift you'll probably lose about .020" because the lifters and pushrods are at different angles. So you'd be at .480" with a 1.5 rocker.

Comp Cams #901

Single-Coil w/Damper
* #104 lbs. @ 1.650"
* #259 lbs. @ 1.250"
* #308 lbs. @ 1.150"

* Coil Bind @ 1.100"

Can go up to > .490" Lift / 288* Duration without any issues.

Can be used for the Comps XE-274H {488"/.491" Lift ~ 274*/286* Duration},
especially for Street-use.

Comp does not recommend that spring for the 274H

Comp does not recommend that spring for the 274H

it's OK
my machinist doesn't like any comp cams products
so I need to find a different brand
I think I will go with the Trick Flows that are same as the 901's

but the biggest cam I'll go with is a 268H
probably not even that high

it's OK

Who cares what your machinist likes and doesn't like? It's not his engine. If you're going to run a COMP cam then you need to go with what springs they recommend or what they OK for use. The 901's won't break the bank and are a very good spring for the 268H.

Comp doesn't make the springs, they buy them. And are put in their boxes.

I'd bet the trick flow spring, which has the same base part number, is the exact same spring as the comp pieces. They are less money too.

Who cares what your machinist likes and doesn't like? It's not his engine. If you're going to run a COMP cam then you need to go with what springs they recommend or what they OK for use. The 901's won't break the bank and are a very good spring for the 268H.

Because I'm paying him to do my heads
I don't want to force him to use parts that he does not like, not comfortable with or does not want to use because then I will question the integrity of the work.
Like auto painters usually stick with one brand.
I can't expect a guy who has been shooting PPG for 30+ years to use Glasurit just because I want him to.
I think that's asking for trouble.
Of course, I could always go to a guy who is in tune with those parts but then I wouldn't have the many recommendations of using the guy that doesn't like Comp Cams stuff.

And I agree that the Comp Cams springs and Trick Flow springs are probably the same exact spring just in different boxes. That's why I would go Trick Flow but then use a Summit Cam along with it

Oh yeah, the machinist said he's never had a Comp spring come out to the pressures that they said they would and Comp springs have wiped too many cams on him in the past so he's done.

Cams I understand, springs, not so much.

I'd buy the trick flows and comps, put the comps in the trick flow box, hand to him and see what happens. LOL

Pac 1929 is the same spring.

Oh yeah, the machinist said he's never had a Comp spring come out to the pressures that they said they would and Comp springs have wiped too many cams on him in the past so he's done.

So you're just going to get the same springs in a different box? He might know they're the same spring and still not want to use them. What did he recommend?

it's OK

I've never been crazy about them myself.

Don't be stupid. It's not about what HE likes or wants' to use. It's about YOU the CONSUMER and what YOU want, not HIM.

That's like hirin a hooker, tellin her what you want and then her tellin you she's gonna give you somethin else. Don't be a dumbass.

Because I'm paying him to do my heads
I don't want to force him to use parts that he does not like, not comfortable with or does not want to use because then I will question the integrity of the work.
Like auto painters usually stick with one brand.
I can't expect a guy who has been shooting PPG for 30+ years to use Glasurit just because I want him to.
I think that's asking for trouble.
Of course, I could always go to a guy who is in tune with those parts but then I wouldn't have the many recommendations of using the guy that doesn't like Comp Cams stuff.

And I agree that the Comp Cams springs and Trick Flow springs are probably the same exact spring just in different boxes. That's why I would go Trick Flow but then use a Summit Cam along with it

I was thinking about looking into isky cams. I've heard a lot of good about them. Right now I've got the 268H comp in my 360 runs out of steam right at around 5200. The 901 springs are mated with them, no problems so far. I think I remember these springs are compatible with everything up to magnum 270 by comp. Don't quote me on it though.

-
Back