Comp Cams or Mopar Perf Timing Chain??

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
I have the choice of two timing chain and gear sets. One is by Competition Cams and the other is by Mopar Performance. They are the same price. Which one is better or are they about the same in quaility?

CCA-3103 or
DCC-5249267

I would say that they both come from the same manufacturer.Either would be fine.

Howard's makes a good timing set with an Iwis chain... none better. Others do too... the chain is the best there is.

Went with the Comp Cam. My motor is only slightly modified, not anywhere near a full race cam or anything.

I will be attempting my first timing chain change ever. I assembled a motor in shop class a gazillion years ago, and getting the chain on is not my primary worry. I am concerned with sealing the cover. Any tips? I believe I should be able to slowly pry the cover off, but any advice there would be appreciated too, like where to pry from or on the cover.

I have the Ultra Gray Permatex as suggested by a friend/mechanic.

Thanks!

The tricky area is the oil pan. As to the timing chain tensioner. Years ago I had to make the same decision and I had two conflicting opinions from two very smart small block mopar engine builders on whether or not to use a tensioner. I decided to use one, and I feel first hand reall world experience is the best. I will not use another tensioner. Took the motor apart to change pistons and the spring side guide was broken right at the pivot, the flat spring had fallen down below the bottom sprocket. It was not worn through. With small block mopars the cam/crank center lines make for a long chain. I put a billet sprocket and Iwis chain. the chain will die before sprockets. You can put a block of wood between the bypass nipple on the intake and the top center bolt boss. Then use screw driver.

Last edited:
The tricky area is the oil pan. As to the timing chain tensioner. Years ago I had to make the same decision and I had two conflicting opinions from two very smart small block mopar engine builders on whether or not to use a tensioner. I decided to use one, and I feel first hand reall world experience is the best. I will not use another tensioner. Took the motor apart to change pistons and the spring side guide was broken right at the pivot, the flat spring had fallen down below the bottom sprocket. It was not worn through. With small block mopars the cam/crank center lines make for a long chain. I put a billet sprocket and Iwis chain. the chain will die before sprockets. You can put a block of wood between the bypass nipple on the intake and the top center bolt boss. Then use screw driver.

I was told to use a gear puller to pull the bottom gear, with the harmonic balancer bolt in place, or a large socket. I don't want to use a tensioner anyway, I wouldn't know how to set one up right.

By the oil pan being "tricky", do you mean the gaskets that exist on the pan now and getting the permatex to stick to them? I was thinking a good way to approach this situation would be to buy a pan gasket set, use the arced rubber piece from it, then cut and clean the old cork gaskets from the pan all together to where the block starts, then cut the same sized pieces as the ones I cut off to replace those sections. Should that work if I use the Ultra Grey Permatex on both sides, and between the old cork and new cork gaskets, or is there something better to put on the old oily cork that would seal that area better?

Finally, do I put the bolts in from the bottom first? If so, how far should I tighten them before put the bolts from the front in? I was told to tighten them together, kind of tighten one a little, then go to an opposing side, tighten that one a little, and go around the cover like that, but it seems like I would need to get the bottom ones, the ones facing up, at least snug to get the other ones in. Is that right?

Always a good idea to get all the bolts started first, then you can tighten them a little at a time. For the front cover its not very important as other can be. No sealer that I know of that would make easier. Sounds like a good plan. IIRC there might have been a kit YEARS ago that cam with the little ends and the rubber front section.

Do not put the oil pan bolts in first. They go last. Hopefully with new gaskets you also replaced the front seal in the cover. Clean and polish the snout on the damper and put some oil on it and the new seal. Put the front bolts in the cover very loose. Now install the damper. This locates the seal in the cover to the damper and helps prevent leaks. Torque the cover bolts and then install the oil pan bolts and torque.

Do not put the oil pan bolts in first. They go last. Hopefully with new gaskets you also replaced the front seal in the cover. Clean and polish the snout on the damper and put some oil on it and the new seal. Put the front bolts in the cover very loose. Now install the damper. This locates the seal in the cover to the damper and helps prevent leaks. Torque the cover bolts and then install the oil pan bolts and torque.

Thanks, I knew there were two angles to the cover that needed to be addressed, but what I didn't know is that the center of the seal in the cover needed to be centered to the location of the balancer. Thanks, you just saved me having to do this twice! I do have the new seal ready to go.

You need a puller for the damper not the front crank sprocket...that will slide off.

You need a puller for the damper not the front crank sprocket...that will slide off.

The guy said some of them stick just enough to keep me from getting it off with my fingers, so it would be best to have one at the ready if I need it. ??? I do have the damper puller. Waiting for time to get on it. I have all the parts.

Let's hope it just slides off. Maybe it was just his that stuck. IDK

Thanks

-
Back