Complete Front End Suspension Rebuild Kit

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I am about to pull the K-member out of my car to have it cleaned, prepped and painted, and while it is out we are going to install new bushings and recondition the front suspension. Unfortunately, I am not exactly clear what I need. I checked out PST online, but I think I need torsion bar boots and dust covers. I am not sure what else I would need. Would appreciate any advice on what all I should be looking for to redo the entire front end.

Start with the service manual, you have one?

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

This is a good site

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/techindex.shtml

Click on "front suspension"

If you wish to replace "pretty much all" wear items it's pretty much

upper and lower ball joints

upper A arm bushings (consider getting the "offset" bushings)

and lower control arm bushings.

Strut rod bushings

Idler arm if worn

pitman arm if worn

outer and inner tire rod ends if worn

If you have an front anti sway bar and it's factory "good luck" finding OEM bushings for that

Do you plan to do it all or just what needs done? The PST big kit looks like it covers near evrything but pitman and the t-bar boots. There are variables though.. Sway bar and size, disc or drum (anything changed?) poly or rubber...

Talked to my body guy and I think we are going to pull everything out from hub to hub, so it probably makes sense to replace the ball joints and all. I don't really know if the car has a front sway bar in it or not. Did they not come from the factory with one?

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible the car does not have sway bar? If it does, I am willing to bet that it is whatever was originally installed. If it is an original sway bar, what would be my options?

I don't believe the car has a sway bar. Is there a preference on the original rubber kits versus the polygraphite kits? I thought I read that the polygraphite kits will squeak, but then I have read in other places that they don't. What does FABO say on that question?

After doing more reading and researching through FABO, I think I have come to the conclusion that the original rubber kit is the way to go for my project. My car is only meant to be a street car anyway. Probably give PST a call in the morning.

I got all my front end stuff from Rockauto using a combination of Raybestos Professional and Moog stuff. Original rubber. All USA made.

-
Back